Review of The History of Intelligent Worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Review of The History of Intelligent Worlds

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The History of Intelligent Worlds" by Brett Barnes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the past six months, working for NATO has had its strain on Tatum. When many countries started leaving the Alliance, the organization moved its headquarters to Washington, and Tatum and her team had to follow suit. A war between the Christians and Muslims was imminent, and the organization sought ways to bring about peace. While unpacking in her new home, Tatum discovers an old diary that narrates dreams she had—and was still having—of being married to a man from an entirely different realm. Not believing anything from the dream, she is stunned when she comes in contact with people identified as Quarsi from this realm. She subsequently gets a book from a mysterious woman—Rosselyn—to help her make sense of her past and dreams.

Through the stories in this old book, she learns a lot more about the history of humanity and herself. The stories tell of a long history of gods and spirits roaming freely on the astral planes, a war amongst the council of twelve tribes, and how religious rulers took advantage of the people for their selfish gains—a reality that also existed in Tatum’s current lifetime. Meanwhile, the Yusian queen in the stories Tatum is reading also finds herself in the middle of this deceit when the chief priest kills her son to start a war between the tribes. Tatum is unknowingly dining with the same evil people in her own lifetime. What happens next? What is the connection between the Yusian queen and Tatum? Does Tatum realize on time that she is dining with the enemy? Does she do anything about it?

Written by Brett Barnes, The History of Intelligent Worlds merges two lifetimes creatively, spinning a powerful tale of deceit, lies, betrayal, blasphemy, loyalty, and love. While this is a fictional story, it was interesting to come across elements in the story that are present in the real world. For instance, his story revealed how manipulative some spiritual leaders could be, how patiently deceitful people could wait for their plans to unfold, and how current reality could be determined by decisions made many years in the past.

I also enjoyed the author's writing technique; the story's worldbuilding was excellent. He included fantasy elements in his descriptions of an imaginary world and incorporated some mystic and ancient cultural practices that helped spice up the story. This left me wondering if, perhaps, there is more to our universe than meets the eye.

While this story had a slow start, it was fascinating from the very beginning. I especially enjoyed the author's poems and writings at the beginning of several chapters and some points throughout the story. Some of them felt like hymns, while others were excerpts from a literature of the imaginary world the author wrote about. I was impressed with the depth of the backstories given for several characters, like Tatum and Ybrahim, while other characters, like Rosselyn, were integral to the mystery in this story. Having said that, I believe there were too many characters in this book; this made remembering names slightly tricky.

The author weaved seamlessly in and out of the two timelines in this story, creating several subplots in the process. There was the story of the Taleans and how they had to adhere to the unfair laws of a treaty, the story of the massacre by the Andolin, and much more. I hope there will be a sequel because I would be glad to see what happens next. As much as I enjoyed the subplots and their contribution to the core story, I did find some gaps and contradictions. One such instance was the existence and circumstances of Abel and McConnell.

This book was professionally edited; I only found two grammatical problems while reading. It was a thrilling story about the collision between two worlds and timelines. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of fantasy and war stories.

The History of Intelligent Worlds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

I'm not exactly sure I'll enjoy this one, but I must not fail to commend the effort you put into the review. Well done.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

The weaving of two timeless is what I find intriguing and would like to understand from the book. Your review is interesting. Nice work
CleverSpider001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CleverSpider001 »

A weaving of two lifetimes sounds like it would make for quite an impressive read. Your review was lovely to read.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

Your review is quite commendable as you positively draw the attention of potential readers. I'm sure the book is just as depicted.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

While I'm not quite sure I'll enjoy this book, this is a great review. Thanks for the review
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I like the title of this book, and the image on the book cover design is quitete unique. Tatum is a diligent worker although there are challenges and new discoveries, I would love to know how her story ended. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”