Review of Seeker 5

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 521
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Seeker 5

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seeker 5" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Desert Sky by Tayma Tameem is an interesting, thought-provoking dystopian novel incorporating some elements of science fiction, and it is the second book of the Seeker 5 Series. It is set in the Republic, a totalitarian country ruled by General Garber Hillstone. Life is tough in the Republic, and every aspect of the lives of the Republic citizens is controlled by General Garber Hillstone and a few other government officials. Residential areas in the country are divided into blocks, and the majority of the blocks have one thing in common—people live in dilapidated, pitiful conditions. They also survive only on government rations, and the state of infrastructure is heart-wrenching. Jobs have all been taken by machines, and the only jobs available for humans is to either be an engineer to service the machines or join the military. In a country where favoritism, bureaucracy, and oppression are at their peaks, only a few lucky individuals get the opportunity to occupy such positions, as others languish in absolute poverty. Skylar is one of such lucky individuals salivating for the engineering posts. But before she secures a position as an engineer, she has to go through some trials.

Having passed the first phase of the trials, this sequel begins where Skylar is now going to the second phase of the trials. Skylar has to, once again, pass these rigorous, gruesome trials if she is to become an engineer and escape the hopeless life she left back at home. How will it be this time round? But one thing was for sure. Skylar would have to use every ounce of energy remaining in her, and success was far from guaranteed. I enjoyed every step of this journey.

I also liked how the author told this story from multiple perspectives. This story was told from the perspectives of the government officials and the recruits, and this enables readers to know exactly the emotions, thoughts, and ambitions of each of those parties. The characters were also interesting, relatable, and well captured. I liked the fact that, just by observing how they interacted, readers could gauge their level of familiarity with one another and the relationship between them. Apart from that, having not read the first book of the series, I was glad to realize that one does not necessarily need to have read that previous book to understand this. This book can be read as a standalone. All these, together with a satisfactory ending, enhanced my enjoyment of this book and overall reading experience.

What I liked the most about this book were the spontaneous actions it contained. There were several spontaneous, drama-filled sections, most of which came at the least expected moments. They further enhanced my enjoyment of this book.

My least favorite aspect of this book was the inconsistency in spelling the names of some of the characters. In particular, there were a few instances where Skylar was sometimes spelled as Skyler. While it is not a very serious issue, I would have liked it if the author stuck to one variation of the character’s name to ensure some level of consistency.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed this book and didn't find anything objective to dislike about it. I also believe it was professionally edited since I didn't find any grammatical errors. The above-mentioned issue was not enough to influence my final rating, and therefore, I don't see the reason to deny Desert Sky by Tayma Tameem a full rating of four out of four stars.

To fans of dystopian and fantasy stories, I highly recommend this. While there were sexual tensions among some of the characters, this novel has no erotic content at all, making it suitable for a wide range of audiences. I greatly enjoyed reading this book, and I am looking forward to its sequel.

Seeker 5
View: on Bookshelves
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

I'm not big on science fiction books, but your review draws me to this one. Great work.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Looks like an interesting read even without me checking the first book in the series. Nice review
CleverSpider001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CleverSpider001 »

Your review is fantastic. I love science fiction, and this sounds like an interesting read.
OTrain M
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-m.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by OTrain M »

I have only read one book of this author, and I must say, I am impressed. I can't wait to start on this book. You did amazing job on this review.
Raymonda Dazzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-dazzy.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Raymonda Dazzy »

The story sounds intriguing. A story about the survival of the fittest, I wonder if Skylar will succeed. Thanks for the review.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

Seems like a great read. Thanks for the review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This is another intriguing work by Tayma Tameem. After reading "Rulers of the Galaxy" I've always looked out for her books. The author did a good job in the characterization of the story, and I would love to read this book. The book is a representation of what might happen to earth in the future, machines taking over humans. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”