Review of Ever Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Ever Day

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ever Day" by Jason A. Plott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Ever Day, a fantasy novel written by Jason Plott, readers follow the adventures of Avery Hall, an ordinary young man who is markedly out of shape and bored with his life. As the story begins, Avery suddenly finds himself in a strange place. He doesn't know where he is or how he got there, though. At first, he’s in a field of very tall and extremely green grass, and soon he realizes that inanimate objects come to life in this new context. He meets Lree, a small and weird creature with massive yellow eyes, covered by cloth and leather scraps. She was a miserable creature, full of bruises, scars, scabs, and cuts. Together, Lree and Avery, who strongly dislike each other, wander through strange places that often reminded me of Alice in Wonderland.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Starting with the positive aspects, it is markedly imaginative and creative. The flawed protagonists are clearly on a journey of self-discovery, a hero’s coming-of-age journey of sorts. Throughout their adventure, Avery and Lree come across things such as giant skeletons made of garbage, a dragon man, a giant insect, the largest display of food Avery had ever seen, monsters that set fire to people, and artistic ghosts, among others. The author’s imagination is admirable, and it was what I enjoyed the most. I particularly appreciated the language Plott used to describe the unusual settings. For instance, the Garden is “the most lovingly manicured landfill in existence,” with colorful flower petals and aggressively sweet fragrances.

On the other hand, a bothersome element for me was the author’s sardonic writing style. Although the book is filled with metaphors and symbolism (there’s a tree called Fortune and a tower called the Truth), the author’s tone was a bit smug, in my opinion. It was what I disliked the most about the book.

At first, I was ok with Plott directly addressing the readers in a good-humored, sarcastic fashion throughout the book, calling their attention to elements of importance in the story, such as Avery's bag. However, I sometimes disliked the tone he used, for I thought it was borderline aggressive and unnecessarily displeasing. For instance, “I mean, clearly you have nothing better to do so what’s the point in skimming?”

All things considered, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I’m taking a star away due to the negatives previously mentioned. It seemed professionally edited, for I found no errors in it. I recommend it to readers who enjoy realms of fantasy and young protagonists on journeys of self-discovery.

Ever Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Lovers of fantasy fiction will definitely enjoy this book. Avery's journey of self-discovery should be fascinating to read.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The black and white cover stands out a lot.
A journey of self-discovery with imagination and other fun elements sounds great. Thank-you for a nice review!
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

A fantasy book will have weird elements no doubt on that but how the author presents them and weaves them together matters much and if that is done correctly it would definitely captivate the readers. The review has been done nicely.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Emeka Nwankwoala
Currently Reading: Life
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Emeka Nwankwoala »

The story is not much interested because fear of the inanimate that comes from nowhere always make a man to go the second time in order to read it. So, it brings discouraging.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not certain this genre or storyline is my preference. Thank you for the review. I would be sitting this one out.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

The storyline is certainly fascinating and would find favor with lovers of this genre. An aggressive and smug style of writing is a definite put-off. Great review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

It is quite usual to get bored of life at some point, but it should only be momentarily. Avery Hall is an intriguing character who finds himself in a different context of life. What would be his opinion? I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that develops some classic elements in a fantasy story told with an unusual style. I guess you have to appreciate that kind of style to really like this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always found science fiction to be quite intriguing and able to stir my imagination. This book certainly seems to possess such quality. Will love to try it out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”