Review of Nova

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Nova

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nova" by Chris Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pat Milner was an extremely intelligent woman who worked with cutting-edge and space-related engineering. With her abilities and effort, she participated in the project Altai, the first human colony on the Moon. Meanwhile, in Australia, Kaylan Dent is a smart boy who started to hear ringing noises in his head that no one else heard. At the same time, strange things were happening throughout the world: bees were dying because of alien mites, lots of people started to appear in hospitals and clinics with Tinnitus-like symptoms, and professionals reported unusually high radiation emissions. Something links all those people and strange situations, but what is it?

Nova by Chris Wootton is a sci-fi novel that also contains suspense, mystery, aliens, crime, superpowers, a lot of spectacular twists, and cliffhangers too. My favorite aspect of this volume was the author's ability to make all the details and characters intersect. The author presents several elements that become connected at some point in the book. Chris Wootton slowly answers almost all the possible questions that could have passed through the reader's mind, for example, the correlation between the mites and the book's Earth Extinction Event. At the same time, he shows, with subtle messages, that everything you thought you knew about the characters was wrong.

There wasn't anything to dislike in this book, and I loved everything in it. The character development is complete, the descriptions of the scenarios are detailed but not monotonous or repetitive, and the dialogues contain important information for the story development. I enjoyed how the author presented Pat Milner and how he developed her personality through some of her past stories, for instance. Besides, I can say that the book seems professionally edited because I found only a few punctuation errors and some other minor errors that didn't affect my reading, so I'm not going to take a star off my rating because of them.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This volume is an amazing and unique sci-fi novel with mystery, aliens, crime, and various twists. But it also contains great character development and a suspenseful story progression.

I recommend this book to those people who are interested in reading about apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic scenarios, and sci-fi stories that involve space. Nevertheless, I don't recommend it to teenagers or younger readers, even though it doesn't contain sexual content, because there are a lot of violent scenes and some instances of profanities that might disturb the readers.

Nova
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is entirely intriguing with a lot of twist. The author did a good job in his presentation, I hope to read the book. Good review.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

This sounds like exactly the type of book I'd be interested in reading. I can't wait to read about the project Altai and how it correlates with the disturbances on earth. Thank you for the informative review.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

This is one of the greatest books I read this year. The author surely did understand the assignment. The perfect alignment of the plot, character development, and grammar was enough to blow my mind away.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure right now I feel like reading an apocalyptic story but, overall, this seems like a well-constructed novel with well-developed plot and characters, so I might pick it when I'm in the right mood. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This story sounds too apocalyptic to me. In addition, it looks like the author took topics from the newspapers and started building the story from there. Dying bees and tinnitus-like symptoms sound oddly familiar… However, I like well-crafted stories with good characters and a reasonable amount of suspense. Maybe I’ll check this out once in the hopefully less apocalyptic future!

Thanks for the excellent review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Steinkar »

Thanks for the great review. (They are always more fun to write when you've enjoyed the book!) This book sounds right up my alley.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The plot of the book is entirely captivating. There'd definitely be a link between the strange things happening . The aliens seems to be quite discrete in their actions. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An interesting science fiction book "Nova" by Chris Wootton. based on alien attacks in form of pests and human colony on moon. There is something new to learn from this book. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”