Official Review: The Dragon God: Book 2 of The Horn King ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: The Dragon God: Book 2 of The Horn King ...

Post by ttuso22 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dragon God: Book 2 of The Horn King Series" by Brae Wyckoff.]
Book Cover for 2156
Share This Review

Seeing that this was the second book in the series I was reluctant to review it because I hate reading sequels without reading the predecessors. However I searched the first book and realized it was only a dollar and I figured why not. To my enjoyment, I liked the first book and decided to give the second a shot. This book reminds me a lot of Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Lord of the Rings because of the fantasy world that is displayed within this story filled with dragons and elves and Chronicles of Narnia because this book is filled with Biblical allusions and symbolism. Although this series resembles others like it, there is no mistaking that it is an original story. I took joy in reading this clever collaboration of witty characters and mystical beings. This is an adventure welcoming a wide range of audience members.

Following the lives of Bridazak and his fellow comrades, this story weaves itself with adventure and suspense. Upon the death of a vile King, Bridazak among others retreat into the Moonstone Mountains and establish an army to eradicate the rest of the evil from the land. All seems safe for now, until an elvish Mage receives a vision that their enemy is in search of stones that contain the power to awaken a darker evil. They plan to raise the King from the grave in order to find the fifth stone to complete the ritual that could bring the end of Bridazak and his friends. With the five stones in hand the enemy will have the power to summon the dragon spirits and set the Dragon God free. The only hope Bridazak and his crew have is to find the legendary elements and destroy the stones before the darkness can enter the world. Bursting with humorous characters, mischievous gnomes, vampire pirates, and much more, this book will surely keep you up at night reading until your eyes force you to sleep.

The Dragon God surpasses The Orb of Truth (book one of the series) in many ways that I hadn't expected. What The Orb of Truth lacked The Dragon God made up for and showed the author's capability of improving upon the story rather than destroying it as I have found most sequels to do. The adventure was more enticing and the characters more livened. Along with that, the Biblical symbolism and allusions were more subtle and less blatant than the first, which to me shows a deeper understanding and creativity. I was glad to have read the second book in the series because the first, though I liked it, wasn't my favorite, but set it up well for book two. The Dragon God improves in ingenuity, suspense, and character development.

A good book usually consists of one of two things, either it is a gripping story you can't put down or it makes you question and think about your understandings of life. What I love about the Dragon God is that it did both. I continually wanted to keep reading since the adventure was flowing rapidly. Yet when the adventure seemed to slow, morals that made me ponder my life kept it from getting boring. I enjoyed that the characters truly embodied who they were. They stepped into the characters that I felt were merely outlined in the first book. I also loved the author's use of vocabulary. I have to say I was thoroughly impressed and found it all to be used tactfully rather than burdensome. I loved the direction Wyckoff took the series in this book as well. To me, it seemed that this book explored more of the world he created compared to the first one and he wasn't scared to see what else he could come up with. Thankfully, there was less portal traveling than the first which seemed, at times, overused. I especially loved though that Wyckoff delved deeper into the supporting characters background and I felt it made Bridazak and his mates a more rounded group that I came to adore.

To be honest there was not much, if anything, that I hated about this book. I mean I could say I wished it was longer or that there should be more character background, but after all it is a series and those things grow as the series goes on. I didn't necessarily like that Bridazak's bow always had to be mentioned as the Seeker, but that's a minor triviality. I thought this one succeeded its precursor well and one can't really argue when an author only improves as the story unravels. Overall it is a story I think I could enjoy again and again.

I rate this 4 out of 4 stars. I believe this is the better book of the two in the series I have read thus far. I give it a four rather than anything lower not just because Wyckoff greatly improved with this second installment but also because I really enjoyed the thrill of this book. Any grammar mistakes were unnoticeable and his creativity soared beyond other fantasies I have read. It does not deserve anything lower than a four as it included great plot twists, deeper character development and an original adventure that had me craving more and more. This may be aimed at a younger audience, but I have no doubt that older audiences would enjoy it as well. I definitely recommend this book especially if you read The Orb of Truth! I have high hopes for the third book and hope it is just as good, if not better than The Dragon God.

Buy "The Dragon God: Book 2 of The Horn King Series" on Amazon
Buy "The Dragon God: Book 2 of The Horn King Series" on Barnes and Noble
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I love that you discussed the "Dragon God" separately and also compared it to the first book of the series. This book looks really good :)

P.S. I am sure that Dulgin is happier than you that there is less portal traveling :P
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Thank you! I feel like I had to somewhat compare because I did read both so my review is different than if I had just read this one. Haha I definitely agree with you on that one! Dulgin is so sassy. Also just so you know since you seemed curious, there is a side plot involving Abawken that goes a little deeper into his character!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I think it's great that you put the effort into buying and reading the first book before picking this one up. Seeing that you bought the first one, and then read and enjoyed both definitely makes it look even more appealing.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Brae
Favorite Author: Brae Wyckoff
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brae.html
fav_author_id: 2007

Post by Brae »

Thank you for the wonderful review of my work. I completely understand the "portal" jumping in the first book...my editor even brought this up but I made the final decision.
Yes, I enjoyed the sequel as well and it wouldn't have been as great without the first of the series to get a good look and feel for the land and the characters.
I will be delving into Abawken's past in book #4. I just finished writing book #3: The Vampire King and at the end of this one I set it up. Abawken is going home to see his father but will be bringing along his friends so it should be a fun read for everyone.
I truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you all!
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Thank you ALRyder I appreciate the kind words! It would have driven me nuts had I not read the first one though ha-ha.

-- 24 Jul 2014, 15:49 --

Brae you are welcome! When I have time I'll have to buy the third one to read! I can't wait!
Erich_gray
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

Just down loaded the Dragon God. But first I must get through the Orb of Truth. I am looking forward to this.

Erich
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

In the beginning, I loved reading horror stories; anything with vampires, mummies, and dummies use to make my day. But then I discovered The Lord of the Rings, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Thank you for an awesome review. Reading the first installment in the series before going on to the next shows that you care about writing a good review. Don't know when I'm going to get the chance to read this book, but it sounds fun.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”