Official Review: City of Masks by Ashley Capes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: City of Masks by Ashley Capes

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "City of Masks" by Ashley Capes.]
Book Cover for 2106
Share This Review

This is epic fantasy at its best! There are several main characters in City of Masks but it only adds to the richness of the story.

We start off from Notch’s POV. Notch is a mercenary who changed his name for reasons unknown (we get to slowly piece it together). He would have been hailed as a hero in another life, but instead he works as a merc for countless different employers. But when he wakes up covered in blood, accused of killing a child and with no memory of the events, he decides to take action and clear his name.

From there we go to Sophia Falco. All Sophia has ever thought of is being an esteemed bone-carver just like her mother, but when unforeseen circumstances change the game, she is forced to adapt to the life of a Successor. To be joined with one of the Greatmasks, legends in their own right, is now her lot in life. But Sophia will be the first female in over 100 years to wear the mask, and there are quite a few people that are unwilling to let that happen. And then there is the fact that Argeon (the Falco’s Greatmask) won’t communicate with her.

And then there is Ain. Ain is Renovar, and a Pathfinder. He longs for home and family, but it seems the fates have denied him this choice. When he is chosen for the ultimate quest, will he succeed where so many have failed?

This novel was deliciously long! Chock full of drama, adventure, mystery, strange creatures, people of valor, and all the other markings of a great fantasy novel. I was pleased to see that it is a trilogy and I cannot wait to read the other two books in the set.

With all of that being said, this story thankfully doesn’t end on too bad of a cliffhanger, although it does leave plenty of questions unanswered.

You will weep with Sophia as she goes through so many trials only to find betrayal at the worst time. Notch is truly an unsung hero, and I look forward to reading more about him. And his companions? Flir is amazing! I have a feeling we have just scratched the surface of her story. And of course, one cannot forget Seto. I won’t go into much more because I don’t want to give any spoilers, but suffice it to say, I thought I had it figured out and the last few pages made me rethink my evaluation. I have a feeling book two is going to reveal a lot of surprises!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars! I have no complaints at all and I would advise and fantasy lovers to get this book today! You won’t regret it!

Buy "City of Masks" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
aca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aca »

Hi Paliden, thanks for the wonderful review! Thrilled that you enjoyed it so much :)
Ashley
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good book. I love books that are "chock full of drama, adventure, mystery, strange creatures" and magic. Thank you for the lovely review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like a great book to sink my teeth into. Your enjoyment of the book shines throughout your review and I can't wait to give it a try.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This sounds action-packed and laced with delicious drama! Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious! I look forward to getting it. :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review! What a great story full of drama, adventure, mystery, and strange creatures sounds like just my type of story. Congratulations on being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Sounds like you really enjoyed the book. You've convinced me to give this book a chance. Great review.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow - you have an obvious enthusiasm for this book! Great review. After reading your review, I feel as though I would like to read the book. Thanks!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

As you said, it seems like a good read for fans of fantasy books. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank You for the great review!
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

This sounds awesome! Reminds me a bit of Brandon Sanderson's fantasy stuff, and the best part is that the book is free! Anyway, nice review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I love when books switch between characters like this! Great job on the review! This sounds like an exciting story!
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for this review.
I enjoyed the description and the pace of the narration, I have been into fantasy and sci-fic books lately and as you said, this one looks like a book to read.
Thanks again for your review.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

It is interesting to see that at the end of the book, Paliden wants to rethink the initial evaluation. If other readers feel the same, the author has done a good job of leading us into book two. As a result of reading the sample, I am also interested in Sophia, Notch and Flir. Now all I have to do is find the time to read.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Awesome job on the review! I have to admit after reading the free sample, I wasn't so sure about this book. But reading your review makes me think I should give it a chance, sometime in the future, just not ready to read such a long book right now. :)
sherriska--22
Currently Reading: Maniac Magee[ MANIAC MAGEE ] By Spinelli, Jerry
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherriska-22.html

Post by sherriska--22 »

Fantasy is not my usual genre of choice, but this review and all of the intricacies of the novel make me want to read it. Good job!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”