Review of Fantastica - Surreal Prose & Poetry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Fantastica - Surreal Prose & Poetry

Post by Mercy119 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fantastica - Surreal Prose & Poetry" by Andrea Lightfoot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantastica – Surreal Prose & Poetry by Andrea Lightfoot is a fantasy fiction book set in the magical worlds of Fantastica and Fairyland. The author presents a collection of short stories narrated by Fantastica’s residents and visitors to the land.

What I liked most about the book is the simple language used. Oftentimes, fantasy books overwhelm the reader with unfamiliar jargon. When I read this book, I was relieved that the author avoided that inconvenience. It’s a plus that the stories are straight to the point and the relevant characters’ backstory is included at the beginning of each chapter. That brief write-up came in handy when I got the characters mixed up or needed to reference a story I was reading. Due to its simplicity, the book could be read by tweens or anyone desiring a quick read.

The author employed various writing formats and included essays, poems, letters, and songs in the book. I enjoyed this presentation since the format shifted every few chapters. This displays the author’s versatility as the poems were just as enjoyable as the essays. The intent is clear from the delivery of each piece. The descriptive essays narrating the architecture and geography of Fantastica left me in awe. I wanted to visit the land and I wished I also had a magical trapdoor in my backyard to take me there. It was exciting to accompany the characters on their magical endeavors. It was also heartwarming to see them learn and grow from those experiences. The author dished out some of Fantastica’s history and it was interesting to learn the society’s old practices.

Amidst the fun and laughter, the author also sprinkled vital life lessons that will leave readers with much to ponder. I liked how the good magical beings dealt with their evil counterparts and protected the defenseless from harmful spells. There is a chapter that highlighted bullying and the victim in that situation wanted to learn magic to combat her adversary. The wizard handling the situation iterated that magic should only be used for good. I was intrigued that he made an effort to learn why his students wanted to learn magic. These interactions made me think about what I would do if I had magical abilities.

Overall, the book is well edited. I only spotted three typos that weren’t distracting. Since there’s nothing I disliked about it, I will award the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend it to fans of fantasy stories and lovers of all things magic.

Fantastica - Surreal Prose & Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Lovers of short stories and fantasy fiction will enjoy this book. Great review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I don't like short stories that much so I think I'll pass on this one. I'll say it has some pretty good content, but it's just not for me. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”