Review of Origin Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Origin Journey

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Origin Journey" by Scot Simpson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arlam and his friends are sent on a ten-year cosmic journey on the Empyramis. This journey will allow them to explore and research the galaxy. After these ten years, they will end their single years and start their 50 years of united (marital) life. Mrik meets with his third great-grandfather, Mrhonorix, for the first time, who tells him that he and the other members of the Pamatrical have noticed inequalities in the Cowav. The Cowav will be destroyed if all lives are not treated equally. He entrusts Mrik to find this ripple on his ten-year journey, so they can stop it when he returns. Mrhonorix suspects the Politan hereditary order has caused this ripple. Will Mrik survive the journey? Will he find out who is creating the ripple? Is it the Politans? Will he find his mate? What other planets will he discover? Read Origin Journey by Scot Simpson to find out.

I appreciate the Index at the back of the book for the many unfamiliar Arzolan actions and words. For example, gender is based on the second letter of a character's name; Mrik is a male, and Ssflora is a female. The pictures at the beginning of each chapter helped me visualize the characters' uniqueness and their planet. This science-fiction book has many lessons that readers can learn from to understand how our interactions affect the world around us. My favorite was the concept that 'mutual interest' is better than 'individual interest' only if you allow individuality between everyone. I cannot imagine a world without someone feeling superior to others, but it is a great idea.

Although I am sure science-fiction fans will enjoy this book, it does have a few negative aspects. The main one is that a professional editor has not edited this book. Many errors include missing parts of sentences, wrong verb tenses, and extra words within sentences that make no sense. The picture is not visible at the beginning of chapter one, and a professional editor should have noted this. The book is difficult to read because of the unfamiliar words used by the characters. Although I appreciate the Index, I referred to it so often that it disrupted my reading.

Overall, this is a good science-fiction book with a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot. For this reason, I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars. Once a professional editor has edited it, it will be deserving of the maximum number of stars.

I recommend this book to science-fiction fans who enjoy reading about aliens and the galaxy. The sexual content is only implied and probably will not offend most readers. Readers who do not enjoy books where the terminology is not familiar may want to avoid this book.

Origin Journey
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A world that encourages "mutual interest but only if individuality is allowed", a well balanced statement which if realistically applied will lead to a lot of changes....very nice review....
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Thanks very much for your recommendation. I have been longing to read another science fiction book, having read some written by Matthew Tysz. This book as it features alien piqued my interest.
Signature of Grace.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your honest review. While I am sure the index would help me contextualize the story even better, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by how complex this story already is. A quick instance would be the names of characters and races mentioned within this very review. There were just too many. There were times while reading this review, where I had to go back to ensure the names seen were not of the same group i.e. Pamatrical and Politans. There just seems to be too many loose strings hanging about. So, while I am inclined to eventually try this book, I doubt I will be in any hurry to start it.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

The cover page of the book is attractive. The storyline sounds interesting, but reading a book that still requires editing is off-putting for me. Thanks for the honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting science fiction novel that develops some important themes, so I hope the author does some more editing to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

I love the book cover design and the plot of the book is quite fascinating. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The plot of the book is entirely captivating. The journey of the characters help them to get a new view of life. Good review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Science fiction books aren't really of my taste but not going to lie, this book makes me curious in all sorts of manner. Because of numerous errors, this book may give anyone a hard time. Thanks for your recommendation though!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The book tells the tale of Ariam and his friends. They have embarked on a journey, and the journey helps them to understand certain things and also widen their scope of life. There's a lot within this book, and I would love to read it. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”