Review of Shadow's Past

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Cash Cowboy Combo! by Paxton S. Finnegan

Review of Shadow's Past

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow's Past" by Natalie Johanson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The attempted coup has been put down. D'ray is missing, Gerik is officially back and ready to wreak havoc on the kingdom, and King Micah and his court are safe for now. Meanwhile, the B'Leakon delegation is baying for the unconditional safe return of their own. With so many things going on around Rose, there is only so much she can do to prevent herself from tearing off into the dark, never to return. The shadows speak of a great many things: balance, responsibility, duty, and honor. These things are as alien to Rose as the new position in which she finds herself. She can barely control her growing powers and struggles to deal with her growing feelings for the king. When news of a stranger roaming the countryside, causing damage to the lands and people of the kingdom, comes up, it only adds to her growing confusion. Will she rein in her fear of the unknown long enough to protect Micah and his realm? Only time will tell.

The explosive sequel to Shadow's Voice bites just as heavy as its bark. Natalie Johanson's Shadow's Past picks up from where the previous installment ended. With a flowing storyline and dangerous new characters at play, everything is perfectly set up for the ultimate confrontation between the forces of good and evil. This book has all the makings of a high-octane, super-charged thriller.

I was expecting to see a lot of swirling potions and spell chanting, given the background of this book. One could only imagine my joy to find some good old-fashioned sword slinging dominating the book. I also liked the author's build-up of the plot. It was subtle but ominous. I got the feeling that I was about to be hit with the big reveal once I turned the next page. The character development was a joy to behold. So much work went into explaining every one of them such that new converts to the series would have no difficulty acquainting themselves with the bigger story from this installment.

There is so much to enjoy about this book, from the writing style to the author's quirky attempts at humor in between the conversations. I honestly cannot pick out anything I do not like about it. There are only two minor errors. Therefore, it's safe to say that the editing is well done.

Fantasy enthusiasts will have a field day with this masterpiece. It is guaranteed to draw in new converts to the genre with unusual ease. Fans of the genre of romantic novels will also appreciate this book.

Creating a sequel for any novel was always going to be a daunting task. Natalie Johanson covered herself in glory with this book. The storyline was riddled with quirks and interesting twists that would leave readers begging for more. I’d rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Shadow's Past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by GideonWrites Review »

Lol! I love the humorous writing style of this review. As I'm a usual fan of fantasy books, and the book present it literarily well, then I must enjoy it. Well done!
Signature of Grace.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Balebi Alexis
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Balebi Alexis »

Shadow's book is more important because it gives advices and the book is more useful as well.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by Apple 7 »

Thanks for the review.....
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Thus series seems like it has great potential and I'll definitely try to get my hands on one of the copies. Thanks for the review.
photosynthesis19
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Bridge by David W. Scheer

Post by photosynthesis19 »

Swords, magic, thriller, and a touch of romance? That sounds like the perfect recipe for a gripping story if executed well. From your review, I can tell that the author of this book does exactly that. As a long-time fan of the fantasy genre, I would definitely give this book a read. Thanks for the great review!
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kibabcock »

This story sounds like it is going to be thrilling to read. I will have to read this after I read the first one. I love that it has both humor and fantasy, two wonderful things I love reading. I really loved the review, great job!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I suppose I am at a crossroads at this juncture. On one hand, this sounds like a great book which has piqued my interest so I want to read it. On the other hand, I have not read the prequel and so I have no idea if and how the stories are intertwined and how big a chunk of information I would be giving away, but all in all, thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”