Review of Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Mutua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-mutua.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Review of Chasing The Red Queen

Post by Mercy Mutua »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chasing the red queen by Karen Glista is a fantasy vampire and romance story with elements of love, lust, friendships, family, action-filled scenes, crime scenes, it has it all for a supernatural story to keep one interested to the end.

It starts with the main lead Donja Bellanger, a teen turning 18years, living her teen life and dealing with the loss of her father the best way she knew how and that is her Goth lifestyle with her best friend Debbie and her boyfriend Kevin. Soon everything in her life starts to change and she cannot do anything about it other than deal with it as well as accept all that was happening in her life. She is happy her mom is getting married to Carson, her stepfather being like a dad to her little brother makes her happy, a step-sister Makayla who seems aloof at first with her glam style, leaving her friends behind and her two-year boyfriend who can’t wait for her to disappear as he already moved on. All this happened too fast for Donja and as she was leaving the place where for the last 17 years she had known to be home it felt like she was leaving a part of herself behind.

Later we are introduced to Torin Mancini a police detective and his partner Gage LeBlanc a forensic investigator, as they follow up on a case of a serial killer who is on a killing spree and his target young beautiful Chippewa girls. Unknown to many both detectives are Iridescent much like vampires but they are not affected by sunlight. The iridescent are immortal beings living for hundreds of years, who have supernatural abilities and yes they need blood, living among the humans and killing anyone who tries to expose their existence.

As Donja was adjusting to her new environment, new spooky home, getting to know her step-sister Makayla and exploring the new city, she encounters Torin the man who seems to put her on her spell every time their eyes meet. Their encounter leads to a lot of discovery that Donja is not ready to accept like the existence of supernatural beings, the fact that her blood is sacred from the bloodline of the durent clan the only one capable of birthing an iridescent and the fact that she is now the target of the iridescent serial killer.

Imagine encountering creatures and a world you only thought existed in sci-fi and fictional stories and that it has now become your reality, well that’s what happened to Donja and as her romance unfolds we are led to a fast-paced novel with action-filled scenes and crime scenes to keep every chapter interesting.

I loved this book because in the middle of the action-packed story it showed us another side of step-siblings that we are normally not shown. The bond that Donja created with her step-sister Makayla, from sharing about their life experiences and the hard traumas of loss they had encountered gives them the chance of being there for each other as pillars.

But also I would love to warn the readers, as much as it is a fantasy romance novel it contains scenes of rape, murder, pedophilia, mutilation and torture which could be a trigger for some. It also has an excessive male dominance feel to it as females don’t really have a say all they have to do is follow the order of things as it was from the beginning.

Must admit I read this book in two days because I didn’t want to put it down until the last page, it’s that captivating and gripping for the lovers of fantasy and romance novels. For that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and I felt it was well edited. I recommend this book to young adults also adults who love fantasy stories like me, if you love vampires and mystical creatures stories then this is the book for you.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”