Review of Gallantry in Action

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Review of Gallantry in Action

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gallantry in Action" by John J Spearman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gallantry in Action is a gripping science fiction written by John Spearman and narrated by Tyler Krzeszewski. Set in the future, this first of a four-book series follows the adventures of Jonah Halberd. Jonah is a captain of the Royal Navy of the Interplanetary Commonwealth. Earth had long ceased to exist, and humans had discovered and colonized planets that support life. Humans now reside in planetary colonies. Tension is high between the Commonwealth and the Rodinan Federation. Lady Julia, the daughter of one of the high-profile leaders in the Commonwealth, has been kidnapped by the Rodinan Federation. Jonah, having proved his military prowess, has been assigned to rescue her. Aboard Cumberland, a spaceship he's assigned, Jonah and his crew are set for the mission. How will it be? But one thing was for sure. This was just the beginning of another war between the two powerful planetary colonies.

I listened to the Audible version of this book, and I liked how well Tyler Krzeszewski narrated it. The audio was clear and of high quality, and there was no part I had to strain to hear or understand. It was easy to know the various emotions of the characters and their genders just by listening to how the narrator adjusted his voice. The backgrounds of the planetary colonies were also exquisitely given (starting from the Old-Earth era to how they came to be), and this will not only help readers understand this novel but also the next books of the series. I also liked how the author captured the various technologies used in the planetary colonies, and this was evident in the fields of Military Science and Medicine. Apart from that, most of the questions that arose as I was reading were satisfactorily answered. However, the book has a cliffhanger ending, indicating there is more to come.

My favorite aspect of this book was how the author developed and depicted the characters. Through flashbacks and dialogues between the characters, readers get to know their backstories and understand them better. Their interactions were also natural, and it was easy to understand their level of familiarity with one another based on the interactions. I also noticed how they were aptly and vividly described, and through this, readers get to visualize their physiques, traits, and age, among others. In particular, I liked Jonah and Lady Julia. Jonah's resilience is worth all admiration; on the other hand, Lady Julia’s humility, contagious positivity, and remarkable interpersonal skills were qualities hard to miss.

All in all, I didn't find anything to dislike about the audiobook. It was clear, of high quality, and well narrated. I am, therefore, glad to award Gallantry in Action by John Spearman 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend this book to fans of science fiction involving space, interplanetary wars, and some elements of romance. Readers who love futuristic novels will also appreciate this. On the other hand, although there was mild sexual content, there were various instances of profanity. None of that detracted from my enjoyment of this book, and I am looking forward to continuing with Jonah Halberd’s adventures in the sequel.

Gallantry in Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing plot we have here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging science fiction story set in quite a far future with well-developed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is an engaging work of science fiction and I really appreciate the work that the author put into this book. Thanks for your review.
ZsaZsa SS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ZsaZsa SS »

I really liked this, so much that iwas absolutely furious when it ended and I don't have the next audiobook yet because it's being recorded right now. Grr.

Anyway, good review and you aptly put into words what I was feeling about the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”