Review of Parabolic Magnetic Key

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Parabolic Magnetic Key

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parabolic Magnetic Key" by Nicholas Wudtke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mick and Dave are freelance freedom fighters. They travel the world in an attempt to safeguard lives with their fighting prowess. The use of the parabolic magnet comes in handy, as their missions become almost "stressless."

Parabolic, Magnetic Key x-rays the lives of Mick Thraiker and Dave Ghrere. The two best friends dedicate their lives to touring the world in an attempt to protect and save lives. It can be said that they have their nostrils up for perceiving danger and are eager to quell the danger. Their gallantry, selflessness, and acts of service get them a unique gift from the rescued. What is this gift?

I find it commendable that all characters in the book have a significant role. It's not like some stories where some characters may disappear after their scene, or the characters do one thing and never show their faces again. Nicholas Wudtke ensures that the characters play significant roles in their appearances, whether once or twice. After Mick and Dave save Carrie and Loyd, one will think that the couple will not be heard of again. But that is not the case. This same thing applies to Brom, The Hermit, Krell-nor, et cetera.

I give it up for Nicholas Wudtke on the plot development and arrangement. The book is not scattered, as each scene connects to the preceding one in some way. The plot development is admirable. How the characters are introduced is very good. The same goes for their recurrence. Nicholas does an excellent job here.

I expected more to be done with the parabolic magnet because it bolsters the title of the book. Instead, it is minimally used. The book doesn't revolve around the key but around Mick and Dave's heroic events. I see this as a misplacement of priority.

Nothing is interesting about the dialogues. They are not engaging, primarily arid and drab. This is a book about adventures; a little spice won't hurt anybody. For adventurers, a lot has to go on in their lives beyond war, food, and weather. Even when the talk about women springs up, it dies out as quickly as it rises.

Finally, Parabolic, Magnetic Key was predictable for an adventure book. I assumed how the book would end, and my assumptions were correct. I agree that not all books have to be suspense-filled. But to an extent, readers shouldn't think like the writer. If they do, it should be the writer's job to twist it around and give them a you-didn't-see-it-coming feeling. The read was not entirely bad; the editing was okay. I'd give it three out of four stars, as a two-star rating would be harsh. I'd recommend Parabolic, Magnetic Key to any lover of low-key adventure.

Parabolic Magnetic Key
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 06:02
I find it commendable that all characters in the book have a significant role. It's not like some stories where some characters may disappear after their scene, or the characters do one thing and never show their faces again. Nicholas Wudtke ensures that the characters play significant roles in their appearances, whether once or twice. After Mick and Dave save Carrie and Loyd, one will think that the couple will not be heard of again. But that is not the case. This same thing applies to Brom, The Hermit, Krell-nor, et cetera.
This is something that I tend to notice much in my readings. I think some authors forget that secondary characters don't know they are secondary characters: they should always act as protagonists of their own scene.
Thank you for the insightful review!
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book centered on two heroic characters. Would definitely love to get my hands on this book.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an easy read to fill some time with a relaxing book that doesn't need too much attention and thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I always like a good fantasy novel and this one seems like it has the potential. A story about two heroes fighting for justice in an imaginary world? Count me in.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your honest review. "Drab" is an interesting choice of word to use to describe a book with so much value and I think it is well placed. Wudtke created a world with a lot of promise but a book that seems "drabby" and bores me would kill my zeal to finish it. Thanks to your review, I wouldn't have to start at all.
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

I think this is a book that teaches courage nwf fighting for own's country.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The plot and character development of the book is quite fascinating. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The author did a good job in the character development and arrangement of the plot, very wonderful. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”