Review of Blockhead

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Blockhead

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blockhead" by Kyle J.S. Bardell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell is a sci-fi/fantasy novel that contains four parts: “Bronco Ranch,” “Ultreu,” “City of Light,” and “Prestina,” which follows Bronco’s journey. Bronco lives on a mechanical horse ranch with her parents, Jericho and Rue, and her little brother, Lockett. Unlike other places, Bronco and Lockett are both heirs to the ranch. Bronco befriends a teenage boy named Wolfrum who lives in Wolfrum’s Forest. Sinjorino advises Bronco that she has to go to the capital city for education and learn her placement in life. Upset because her parents had never explained this to her, Bronco asks Wolfrum to run away with her. He does not run away with her but shows her the way. Lockett wants to run away too, but Bronco does not want to take him because he cannot care for himself. After running into difficulties, Bronco decides going to the capital city is better than living with her parents, so she returns home to depart for the capital city. All Bronco wants is to live a life without barriers. Does Bronco finish her education? What is her placement in life? Is a life without barriers possible?

I was able to visualize and understand each of the characters due to the excellent character development. I could see the peacock feathers sticking out of skulls, the desert sand, the ocean beaches, the icy winter storm, and the fire in the forests. I felt like I was part of the story and found myself holding my breath at times. The four sections of the book made the plot flow smoothly, and made it easy for me to follow the sequences in the story. This book is full of morals and lessons for the reader to learn. One of my favorites was about ants and why they walk in a straight line, the importance of their orderly nature, and all of them doing their part in their society. Another concept I liked was that children judge nothing and only see the beauty in life. The story shows how capitalism impacts citizens and their right to live life the way they want to.

The only negative aspect of this book is the pace. The first few chapters moved slowly, and I had trouble determining the story’s plot. However, the pace eventually picked up, and the book became an enjoyable read with an unexpected ending.

A professional editor has edited this well-edited book as it contains only six errors. There is absolutely no reason for me to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to sci-fi/fantasy fans over the age of 18. The non-borderline profanity and gory content make the book unsuitable for younger readers.

Blockhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am looking forward to reading more about Bronco's adventures. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think I have read reviews of this book before: I am more and more interested! Great work :)
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

I would like to follow Bronco's adventures. Thanks for the review!
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like an intersting story! I really like the book cover too. Thank you for your review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging book with four sections that are well developed and offer some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Sci-fi books are very captivating and this storyline seems engaging. Plus, the character development seems well done. Thank you for the review
Olamide Ogunrayi
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olamide-ogunrayi.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Olamide Ogunrayi »

The pacing at the start was slow as you mentioned and it really did pick up. For me it started picking up around chapter 5 but I found the characters to be unrealistic and they had so many inconsistent attributes that made no sense overall. There were some good parts to the novel but it was overshadowed by the negative aspects. I feel the author didn’t get editors to even properly review the work because there were basic errors with grammatical punctuation which the author kept switching back and forth. Nothing was exactly consistent in this book.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I enjoyed the plot and concepts of how we see life. The character seem to play interesting roles.The title and cover art are captivating and pique one's interest. Thank you for the informative review.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I enjoy it when books are written well. I enjoy face paced books and I like when the books build up to the plot. The title and cover are also very interesting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”