“The Iron King” by Julie Kagawa Review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrseaddy16
Bookshelf Size: 0

“The Iron King” by Julie Kagawa Review

Post by Mrseaddy16 »

Author Juile Kagawa brings readers into a world with fairy tale characters from our childhoods, and introduces new characters to us that are memorable in unexpected ways.
Taking inspiration from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Nights Dream, Alice and Wonderland, and introducing her own mystical characters, this book is a fantasyland filled with adventure love and suspense.
Meet Megan Chase, a young girl about to be 16, and her best friend Robbie. Megan has always felt somewhat invisible and awkward, never really understanding why. She even fears that her family will forget her birthday. She often sees things out of the corner of her eye she can’t quite explain, and always just assumes its her young brothers wild imagination rubbing off on her. Little does she know, her world is about to turn completely upside down when her baby brother is kidnapped into a world she never knew existed, however, at the same time, answering questions that she didn’t even know she had. Knowing her past and unsure of her future, how will Megan overcome all she now knows, and still be the brave girl she is forced to be?
I originally was only going to give this book 3.5 stars, but by the time I got to part two, I couldn’t put it down. I found myself surprised over and over, and loving all the new fantasy creatures I was finding in the pages.
I love the apparent symbolism of how technology is taking over our imaginations. Megan travels to the Nevernever with her best friend, she only thought she knew, to find and rescue her baby brother who was taken by the fey. While there she meets creatures that are both scary and wondrous. She finds out the fey world is a danger from an unknown enemy and is faced with danger and choices she isn’t ready to make.
I now give this book 5 stars.
I love all the characters and the surprises. The symbolism is impressive as is the plot.
chtlav361

Post by chtlav361 »

This series of the iron fey is amazing and really captures the fantasy parts of the mind. Not only does she introduce her own unique characters based off of the other books already centered around the fey, she truly holds the reader's attention with the different characters personalities. It is not easy keeping such personalities separate in a long series but Julie Kagawa has an excellence handle on all of her characters. I look forward to her future books whether they are of the iron fey, blood of eden or a new series all together.
ChristinaLu

Post by ChristinaLu »

Fantastic start to a series. Loveable characters from the very start, this book was easy to read and stay engrossed until the very end. Filled with fairies, sprites and all manner of magical creatures from beginning to endings you will finish and quickly reach for book 2!
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I really love this series. It was immensely enjoyable, I flew through it in no time at all. I have been meaning to read the spinoff of this series but I have yet to get to it.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

I absolutely love modern-day "Fae" stories! Definitely adding this to my "to read" list.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
KarliNite90

Post by KarliNite90 »

I have read these books and they drew me in when things started to change for the fey Megan Chase! It is a book i highly recomend to those who like fairytales mixed with romance

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”