Review of Purges of the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Review of Purges of the Soul

Post by BookBoyP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Purges of the Soul" by Cathy S Birn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purges of the Soul by Cathy S. Birn is a book filled with fictional stories. It is a compilation of 40 short stories. The stories in this book cover a wide range of topics revolving around dark humour, ghosts, love, hope, and a lot more. Each story is different from the story that comes after it.

The stories were exquisitely written and easy to read, with some having a bit of suspense in them. I loved reading most of the stories in this book. I think my favourite story in this book would be the story titled The Dragon, as it brought a certain feeling of hope and a smile to my face. A dragon born in a shade of white color was considered a bad omen to its clan. Therefore, it was rejected and ready to be killed. Marie, an eight-year-old kid, was on one of her daily walks, as her mum preferred partying to looking after her. She heard the dragon’s cry and did what any compassionate child would do and rescued it. Marie got kidnapped a couple of years after. She kicked and screamed, but her abductors did not care, as they were only after the profit they would make from selling an adolescent girl. The dragon heard the cry and pondered on whether to risk its own life to save the girl. Did the dragon go to save the girl? Did her abductors eventually sell the girl? Those are the questions readers will get answers to when they read the book.

What I liked about the book was the diversity of the stories. Although the book comprised of many stories, the author's arrangement and writing style was easy to comprehend, and the stories in the book was well arranged.

Purges of the Soul by Cathy S. Birn is an exceptionally well-edited book. I did not find any errors while reading. There was nothing I disliked about this book. However, some stories in the book were so dark that I got scared a bit. It is safe to say the book was professionally edited.

The stories in the book were quite interesting to read. I did not have any issues with the content of the book. I will rate this book four out of four stars. I would recommend this book to young adults. This book will be a real treat for readers who love reading short stories as they will be spoiled for choice.

Purges of the Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JJJudge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JJJudge »

Cathy Birn not only brings light to the dark but a new concept and approach to a tired and monotonous medium.. A tremendous read and journey into the depths of fantasy and reality... J.J. Judge..
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

I love reading short stories covering different range of topics. I'll check this one out when I find time between reviews. Great work.
vickie205
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by vickie205 »

Great work.. I love the diversity.. I look forward to reading it.
Goodluck Innocent

Post by Goodluck Innocent »

The name itself sounds superb, I will try reading it to identify the best among the stories and the non allowing words in each of them.
Jedidiah39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jedidiah39 »

This is quite interesting especially for those who loves reading short stories.
Julie 19

Post by Julie 19 »

I'm really looking forward to reading the book. I like the fact that a dragon and a little girl form some kind of bond which makes it even more exciting to read
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I recently read tales from the gray area by vurtis stephan burdick, it has the same concept of several stories in one book, am not sure if I am a fan of those type of books, but they definitely provide diversity like this book.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Malkia Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malkia-esther.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Malkia Esther »

I really wanted to know what the other stories are about, if only they could all fit in this review 🙂... It's okay I'll do my homework.
Nabreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabreads.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Nabreads »

I would love to read this book. I like the concept of several short stories in one book.
Silenteyes_11_6
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silenteyes-11-6.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Silenteyes_11_6 »

The book sounds quite interesting with a bunch of short stories plus the book is professionally edited with basic language which excites me to read the book as soon as i get my hands on it.
Primrose Mhlanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primrose-mhlanga.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Primrose Mhlanga »

Great review!
The description of the story makes it even more interesting, I would definitely look forward to reading it because I like short stories.
I love the illustration of the book cover; it has a deep meaning and leaves you with goosebumps as well
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

The topics in this book are very diverse. Reading short stories is my favorite kind of reading. It is definitely on my list to read when I have time.
Sandra Lax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Sandra Lax »

I've always had a thing for supernatural creatures, and being able to make friends with them is something that one can only dream of. Lovely review.
Ray Ogee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray-ogee.html
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Ray Ogee »

I'd definitely love to read this book since it has more than one story in it. The dragon part seems interesting, especially since there is already a relationship between Marie and the dragon. Nice review.
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”