Review of return of the shadows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of return of the shadows

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "return of the shadows" by donald l marino.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Return of the Shadows is the first book of a series called The Chosen, written by Donald L. Marino. In this imaginative plot, we follow four races as they fight against shadow creatures. Humans, dwarfs, elves, and hawk people (who have wings and beaks, but other than that, look human) must work together to defeat the evil shadows. In the mix, we also find two powerful goddesses; Goddess Hel is the evil ruler of the underworld, while her sister Atla, conversely, is a good-hearted goddess that rules over water, healing, love, and health. A gathering of chosen beings of the four races must happen at the temple, by the waterfalls, where magic items will restore the balance once again. To succeed, though, they must defeat the evil Goddess Hel, who intends to stop them.

The book has a few positive aspects that are worth mentioning. Firstly, the plot is creative and vivid, and this aspect was what I liked the most. The author successfully weaves magical elements in the story; there are magic swords, bows, and gems. I also like the author’s description of previous events. Marino does a good job of explaining centuries of conflict between the races and the shadows.

Additionally, the conflict between good and evil is well depicted. The chosen are very likable characters, and the story provides action and entertainment as we root for them. I especially liked the dwarves – Dagrel (protector), Arastrude (wielder), and Nonmumi. The plot has a coming-of-age element full of metaphors, which I enjoyed. For instance, the chosen are teenagers who must learn to use their powers to achieve balance. They were picked by the good goddess for their good hearts, and she explains this to them along their journey.

Speaking of negatives, the end of the book was disappointing. I cannot give away anything, for spoilers are not allowed. However, what I can say is that the story lacks closure. I know it is the first book of a series. Still, I felt that there was absolutely no closure, and this aspect was what I disliked the most. I do enjoy a cliffhanger, but it was much more than that. The book ended with no climax achieved, and it felt like reading an introduction.

Lastly, I found more than ten editing errors in the book, which is far from its most polished form. For this reason, but most of all for the awkward ending, I am taking two stars away from its rating. Therefore, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Still, it is a fun read that I recommend to fans of fantasy stories.

return of the shadows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prudence Mokoena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prudence Mokoena »

I love fantasy and I'm curious of the ending now. I can't wait to read it.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am a lover of fantasy stories, am loving this book already, beautiful review.
Kulsum Emmamally
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: Android

Post by Kulsum Emmamally »

After reading that review. I'm positive that I will enjoy it but it would have been great if it had closure. Anyway I look forward to reading it, I feel it to be interesting. A very good review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy story but ending with an interruption rather than a cliffhanger means that probably it's better to read its sequel right after it. I hope the author does proper proofreading to improve its readability. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

again with dwarfs and elves, authors need to come up wth new creatures, but sound like a thrilling plot, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Sound a whole lot like the hobbit, but I'll look into it a bit more as the reviewer has said. Thanks for the honest review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

It seems like another sci-fi fantasy book with a little bit of suspense. Same old mystical creatures and stuff. I don't think I'll be able to give it a chance. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”