Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa Thomason
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Desert Sanctuary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-thomason.html
Latest Review: The Hotel Detective and his Lover by Derek Picot

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Lisa Thomason »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a very captivating novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire book. This 398 page book is filled with adventure and mystery. The main character, Grant Taylor, has lost his uncle Randall during his last expedition. However there were journals left behind. The group of scientists go with Grant as he tries to find out what happened to his uncle in Zona. The journals told of large animals and extreme plant life there. As Grant was reading through the journals, he chose not to reveal to the others that he had them. As the team ventured out to Zona, they encountered many gigantic wolves. Did these wolves devour Grant's uncle Randall? Eventually a very strange thing occurred with a wolf that Grant had named Shadow. Why did Grant feel peace around Shadow and how did he know that Shadow would not tear him to shreds? The wolves in Zona: The Forbidden Land were over 5 feet tall and weighed over 500 pounds and could clearly cause major damage. As the team continued searching for uncle Randall, they encountered many dangerous situations with the oversized animals. Then as they entered Zona, the team members began experiencing allergies and heightened sexual desires. It was as if the environment was wreaking havoc on their bodies. The longer they were exposed to the environment, the stronger their emotions were. As the tale continued, stranger things began happening. Would they all return alive? The ending of this novel was surprising.

I liked the storyline on this exciting page-turner. This book was very well edited with few errors. I became very invested in the main characters and their lives. I was rooting for Grant and his team as they went through many trials during their travels. I was relieved to see the story end with whether or not Grant was able to locate his missing uncle or at least his remains.

There was really nothing I disliked about this sci-fi adventure. The plot intertwined the lives of all the characters and the descriptions of the events and animals were spectacularly explained. I found very few errors in this novel.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This fast-paced tale to be very intriguing. The descriptions of the animals and the settings was easily visualized. The editing and formatting was professionally done as demonstrated by the limited errors.

The audience for this novel would be all readers. There was some sexual references and descriptions, but nothing more than what is acceptable nowadays. My reading experience with this book was enjoyable. The storyline flowed nicely and was masterfully done.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”