Review of Outer Domain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review of Outer Domain

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Outer Domain" by Terence Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Outer Domain by Terence Thomas is a fast-paced science fiction thriller. The book follows the crew of the USS Mobius on a secret mission to explore the appearance of a new source of light at the outer rim of our solar system. The USS Mobius is the most advanced scientific spacecraft ever built, and it is crewed by nineteen of the best scientists in the fleet. The Mobius quickly encounters an asteroid ring set up in such a way that it could only be a trap from a sophisticated race. They barely manage to avoid the catastrophe only to encounter a magnetic flux wave of such energy that it threatens to cause internal bleeding to all passengers on board. Will They survive the magnetic flux wave? Will they encounter any other surprises on their mission? What is the light source at the edge of our system? All these questions are answered in this amazing book.

Felix Jenner, the captain of the USS Mobius, is the protagonist of the story. The entire book follows his unique perspective on this delicate mission. The book highlighted themes he encountered like scientific discovery, trust, friendship, leadership, hope, and change. The author used these themes to highlight the different stages during their journey. The theme of leadership was the one that stood out to me the most. Captain Jenner runs his ship effectively despite having new people integrated into his team.

The book was written in first person POV. This prevented any noticeable changes in the characterization of the rest of the crew - the only means to understand most of the characters was through the eyes of Captain Jenner. His interpretation of their emotions and thoughts is a key part of this writing style. I was a little perplexed by his interpretation since expertise and credentials ruled his opinion on his crew. He notices his crew by their profession first, and the emotion he notices are the ones resulting from their work on board the USS Mobius.

The book has a lot of things I loved about it like the unique plot, the pace and rhythm of the story, and the various twists I encountered. There are some things that I did not like about this book. The book is a science fiction novel and has a lot of scientific terms and theories that were put in most of the story. The other thing I disliked was how the dialogue in this book felt predictable to the point of feeling scripted. I also encountered a few errors in the book that drew my attention from the story. Due to this, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book is recommended to science fiction readers who enjoy suspense, drama, scientific discovery, and the threat of alien life. The book would not be fitted to non-fiction readers. This is because the scientific theories incorporated into the plot raise a lot of questions. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to more of the author`s books.

Outer Domain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I am saving this book in my bookshelf. Thank you for the wonderful review!
🌻🌼
Gabriella Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-smith.html
Latest Review: Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser)

Post by Gabriella Smith »

Thank you for raising the point that the book contains a lot of scientific theories. There's nothing more frustrating than getting into a story only to be pulled out because of jargon that you can't understand.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one for me is 50/50. The storyline is okay, but inclusive of lots of theories. Great review, Ferdinand_otieno.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I don't mind a strong scientific element, so this novel seems intriguing to me despite the flaws you pointed out. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”