Review of Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maroy Gloria Ailly
Favorite Book: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroy-gloria-ailly.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Review of Chasing The Red Queen

Post by Maroy Gloria Ailly »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You know those few books that have happily-ever-after endings with unpredictable events just
unfolding without the reader sensing them? Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista is one among
the few. The story unfolds as Donja is been struck by reality from all sides. Her mother, Lisa, is marrying Carson after the death of her father and so they have to move to a new place to start a new life. Her then boyfriend, had just dumped her once she told him she would relocate and was not ready to sleep with him just yet, he decided to torture her with a lot of inappropriate PDA at the beach during her last party with her friends. All the mixed feelings that Donja has from losing her Dad to moving to a new place leaving her friends behind and everything she knew, does nothing to her than increasing her bitterness and thirst for cigarettes. Will she adapt in this new place? Is she going to get along with her new stepsister, Makayla who is all into glamour as contrary to her with her Gothic taste in style?

All the worries that Donja had, were nothing compared to what she encountered in the new land. Being a descendant of the Ojibwe people from the Chippewa tribe, her stay in the new land would be so dangerous that her family would no longer be safe because of their blood. The new land was full of blood sucking monsters who would stop at nothing to see that the precious Chippewa clan and their blood is drained. Their intentions being to feed but some monsters went rogue and became a threat that only the last one of the Chippewa clan female would be their salvation and guess who that is, Donja. How does she get to save her entire community? Does she do it alone or gets help? Is she the Red Queen or not? How does she get to know about the rarity of her blood? Does her stepsister and her end up getting along? Does she get past her life back at home? You need to read this book to find that out.

Me reading this book made me discover new facts about the native Canadian people, the mystery behind the Rh-Null blood type. Though it is a fictional book, it had real facts about real people and the current life situations, hence giving the whole book a touch of reality. Karen Glista developed a plot that engaged all my emotional and intellectual senses. I laughed at some events, shed a tear at some and once in a while got mad at how things turned out. All these made me enjoy this book to the maximum.

I exceptionally liked everything about the book. From the onset of the book till the end, all was just engaging. Specifically, the vivid description that left me with mental images of every detail. The fair description of how the bloodsucking Iridescents came to occupy the land and all their good and bad
deeds gave me a new perspective of life. There’s always a story behind every occurrence. I mostly enjoyed the song titles that popped up in the book because they are some of my favorites. Though not a big of a deal, I kept on wondering what happened to the previous friends that Donja had. If they were
really as close as the author stated, why didn’t they reach out to each other? I guess that was the only unsettling thing I got in the book.

I met some minimal typographical errors but despite that, this book was clear to be professionally edited. There is a fair share of appropriate profanities and sexual content but this shouldn’t deny the reader a chance to enjoy the book. Due to all the positives I encountered while reading this book, I am compelled to give it a 4 out of 4 stars with no hesitations. This book is recommendable to a mature audience and older teenagers because of the sexual and profane content. Any audience that enjoys historical fiction with romance would definitely enjoy this. You really don’t want to miss this book because it will not disappoint you one bit.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I saw this book before but I wasn't sure about how much I would enjoy reading it. Your review has made me curious enough that I think I'll give it a go.
Thank you for your review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Honestly, I didn't sense that this book also talks about blood sucking monsters. I have read the first paragraph of your review and thought that it is all about family drama. seems like an interesting book. Thanks for your informative review.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I feel like this would be an interesting read. Is it about vampires or not? Thanks for the review by the way!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I have to agree with you the descriptions in the book were nice. I enjoy seeing others opinion's about books I have read as well. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”