Review of Muck World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Muck World

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Muck World" by C.G. Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An engineer named Dane Thorne is the reason Ever Rain is a reality. He shot the figurative trigger that decimated the old world's ecosystem and ushered in an era of never-ending rainfall and storms. He aims to achieve the dream of the Higher Order—a sect of the elite—by rebuilding civilization in their image, while he sits at the helm of affairs of this new world, with the Citadel as its seat of power.

Born in the Ever Rain era, the life of a mudder is the only reality Jessie Dekker has ever known. The never-ending downpour has made everywhere muddy, and survivors outside the Citadel walls are known as mudders. Jessie is raised by her parents, Liam and Grace, in an underground bunker alongside Calvin, their neighbour's son. Here they are taught about the old world and how to survive in the new world.

The relative normalcy of their lives is punctured on Jessie's sixteenth birthday when Citadel Forces capture her parents and Calvin's family to make them labourers in the Citadel. Jessie and Calvin set out to rescue them with help from Annie, Wella, and other people they meet in the course of their mission. But this journey brings unexpected revelations about Jessie's family, including ties to Dane Thorne and the existence of a sister. How does she handle this new information? What are her ties to Dane Thorne? Does she succeed in rescuing her parents?

Muck World by C.G. Lewis is the first installment in the Ever Rain Series. The tale is set in a dystopian future reeling from the full effects of climate change. It was even more disturbing to me that a human intentionally brought the catastrophe upon everyone for his selfish interests. This was a reminder of the sometimes evil nature of human ambition. It was also a warning to us that this could one day be our reality if we don't take responsibility for our world. I enjoyed that I could find such moments of meaningful reflection within a fictional story.

There were other elements in this story I liked. The family bond between Jessie's and Calvin's family was refreshing to read. The predicament of the mudders outside the Citadel walls, the things they had to do to survive, and how they were taken against their will to be slaves for the Higher Order was as intriguing as it was depressing. This is how you know a story is good, though—if it tugs at your heartstrings.

While this story was set in a fictional future, its location was Denver, and details of the author's worldbuilding showed this much. I appreciate when fictional tales are tethered to our reality in one form or the other. It makes them more relatable. The plot was also fast-paced and intriguing from the first page—it started with a scene of Jessie and her mother on a hunt—and it didn't let off until the last page.

I didn't find any negative points about this story. It was professionally edited, and the author's writing boosted its intrigue. The plot also carried with it a profound lesson for the reader about climate change and unbridled ambition. Consequently, I rate it an unreserved 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who are passionate about climate change and global warming and love a good dystopian story.

Muck World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There is always someone else’s opinion on what will happen. Jessie and Calvin are on a journey to help their families, but also to learn about the world that they currently live in. This is only one of the possibilities for the future of the world.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Books on family love and bond are always a pleasure to read. Interesting review I must say.
Uzzy_Reviews
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read another dystopic story right now but this one seems very well constructed and even too realistic in the depiction of the consequences of climate changes due to human dark interests. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

This sounds like a great and unique book! Thanks for your detailed review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”