Review of New City Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of New City Chronicles

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New City Chronicles" by E.L. Hendrix.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you think the first book is the bomb, think again because the events that take place in this edition will literally blow your mind. Several queries from the first edition are answered, but more thought-provoking questions are raised. Sit back and prepare to be wowed as you read this marvelous piece called New City Chronicles: Book 2 by E.L. Hendrix. I recommend you read book 1 before reading this one for a smoother reading flow. Also, have some snacks beside you because you wouldn’t want to leave this 443-page book until you finish.

In this story, we follow the events that take place after Tabitha and Mark rescue some high-target prisoners from the Ministry. Tabitha makes contact with the Ariel Tracers Organization (ATO), an organization that helps the Ministry Security Directive (SD) targets escape from New City. Meanwhile, Kalina, a member of the ATO that helped Mark escape the dead zone, has been investigating his claims about his relationship with Zack Waters. She makes critical discoveries about the K15 project that led to the birth of Tabitha. What did she find? What is the significance of her findings?

Pythorael, the director of the Ministry, has been in Elaniel's bad book, fueled by Tabitha's convincing arguments to discredit him. Pythorael plans to shake things off and employs the services of a Carmelineal, a being with the power to mimic people by taking their form, voices, and memories. Will he succeed?

The day Devan Elaniel, Archon, has been waiting for is only days away. One prophecy tells of his transition to an ethereal realm when Tabitha gives herself to him on that special day. However, another prophecy talks about Tabitha leading to Archon’s destruction. The credibility of these diverging prophecies will reach a converging point on that day. Which of them would be fulfilled?

This is an excellent book. I like how Hendrix started this one by giving us insights into what happened with Erafel, Tabitha's ancestor. Because of this, I felt more abreast with the story's direction. Another interesting part of the book is the cover page; I was pleased to see how colorful and catchy it was. I can say that “don’t judge a book by its cover” doesn’t apply to this novel since the cover is as superb as the content. Another thing I liked was the way the author organized the story in a way that had a clear and engaging plot.

The best thing about this book is character development and consistency. The author did a good job of introducing most of the characters in book one and continued to flesh them out in this book. I was attached to them. You could tell who was talking at any point in the dialogue. Also, most characters had an important part to play in the story. For example, Kalina was mentioned in the first book almost in passing, but she was one of the most important characters in this book. My favorite character for this edition is Ariel (Tabitha's identical sister and Mark's wife). Her visions were accurate, and the scene where she confronted Valen, the Carmelineal, showed how strong she was. I can’t wait to see the role she plays in book 3.

I also liked the air of unpredictability the story had. Some significant events had unexpected outcomes that will leave readers shocked, with their mouths wide open. The suspense was just too much, especially during the ritual. I came to appreciate the power of Archon, the leader of New City. This is the kind of book that I would like to see converted to a movie. I would gladly pay to see it.

I rate this book a comprehensive 3 out of 4 stars. There is nothing to dislike about the novel. I have grudgingly removed one star because I found up to ten errors in the book. I recommend the novel to people that are interested in fiction stories with a touch of mystery, romance, and magic. I think the novel can be read as a standalone, but readers may struggle a bit to understand the storyline. You’d also be missing a lot of great action should you decide to skip book 1. Catholics may object to a part of this book that suggested that Carmelineals once formed the hierarchy of the church.

New City Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JohnDeds
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JohnDeds »

The book appears to have a learning purpose. Simply reading the title piques your interest.the review was enjoyable
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel full of surprises and also containing some thought-provoking elements. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I like the fact that the book has strong female characters. I wouldn't mind picking this one up. Great review, Emily_Jen!
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think you did an exceptional job with the review there. Thank you for the recommendation. This book seems to make a good read.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I love thrillers and fast-paced books. Thank you for such a wonderful review.
Tarun Halder
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tarun Halder »

The book appears to have a learning purpose.This book seems to make a good read.Thank you for this book

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”