Review of Druid Quest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of Druid Quest

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Druid Quest" by G.L. Cramb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Druid Quest: Maegics Heir, Book 1 by G. L. Cramb is the first book in the series, but it can be read as a stand-alone book without any problems. The plot of the novel follows young Arias who grows up with his father Ètœn at their homestead in the land of Aeryth. The narration of the book mostly takes place from the perspective of the main character. The carefree childhood of a promising young man is enriched with various life skills that his father and his friends teach him. However, one day Arias' father was killed in a clash with the attackers. With his last words, he vowed his son to find the Druid.

On the way to find the Druid and fulfill the will of his father, Arias can count on various weapons with magical characteristics, but also on an extensive network of reliable contacts. His dangerous mission will lead him through a country full of violence and injustice. On the way to their final destination, he will save and make friends with numerous people but also animals. The fight against injustice will bring Arias into conflict with the powerful Lord Tullamoor. Will the courage and noble motives of young Arias be enough to overcome injustice? Will he find the Druid and fulfill his father's last wish?

What I really like about Druid Quest: Maegics Heir, Book 1 are the life lessons that the author skillfully weaves into the narrative. Thus Father Ètœn taught Arias to respect all living beings, which the protagonist has shown many times in practice. The book also emphasizes the importance of formal and non-formal education and constant learning. One of the lessons that young Arias has learned is that he should always show respect to the ladies and offer them all the necessary help. The importance of hygiene should certainly be added to the important life lessons encountered in the book. Since the land of Aeryth has similarities with the Middle Ages in its properties, I like that the author also used archaic words. Extraordinary descriptions, especially of nature, are certainly worthy of praise. In several places, the book is illustrated with appropriate graphics.

What I don’t like about Druid Quest: Maegics Heir, Book 1 are the overly detailed descriptions of the meals. Apart from the fact that, in my humble opinion, it has no special significance for the rest of the plot of the novel, I believe that it slows down the dynamics of the plot to a certain extent. I believe that this unnecessary delving into details deprives the book of the adventurous zest that is expected of a book of this type.

Because of all of the above, the decision on how to rate the book Druid Quest: Maegics Heir, Book 1 was complex. My final judgment is to rate the book with three out of four stars. The cleverly conceived plot, well-developed characters, and extraordinary descriptions are the main qualities of the book that overcome its shortcomings.

I would recommend the book to a readership between the ages of ten and fifteen because I believe that the content of the book is most adapted to their age. I would not recommend the book to older readers because I believe that the plot of the book would be predictable for them.

Druid Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

Formal and non-formal education are both important. I love the fact that the author gives important life lessons in the book. The book seems to be educative. Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 03:01 Formal and non-formal education are both important. I love the fact that the author gives important life lessons in the book. The book seems to be educative. Great review.
The book is definitely worth reading. I look forward to the sequel. Thanks for stopping by.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

It's great that the book can be read as as standalone. However, it's awful that the plot can be predictable. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 05:48 It's great that the book can be read as as standalone. However, it's awful that the plot can be predictable. Great review!
Still, this book is intended for younger teenagers. Thanks for the comment.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Thank you fir the review. As an avid supporter of fantasy, I would have read this book, however, since it sounds as though the plot is predictable, I am going to skip this one.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Niens Now wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 13:20 Thank you fir the review. As an avid supporter of fantasy, I would have read this book, however, since it sounds as though the plot is predictable, I am going to skip this one.
This is a book intended for younger teenagers, and the question is how much a more complex plot would suit them. Thanks for stopping by.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Thank you for the review. It is very informative and well researched. 🌼🌻
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Whatever the outcome, Arias seems to be a man of honour. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems to carry important life lessons. I loved that the author has tried to incorporate meaningful things, like the importance of hygiene, respecting and helping women, and considering animals as our friends, in the plot of the story. Thanks for the amazing review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Priya_Singh wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 15:40 Thank you for the review. It is very informative and well researched. 🌼🌻
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 15:53 Whatever the outcome, Arias seems to be a man of honour. Thanks for the review.
You are right, Arias is a young man of extraordinary character and a true role model for younger generations.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 17:01 This book seems to carry important life lessons. I loved that the author has tried to incorporate meaningful things, like the importance of hygiene, respecting and helping women, and considering animals as our friends, in the plot of the story. Thanks for the amazing review.
I really liked that too. In an inconspicuous way, the author passes on important life lessons to younger generations.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I agree that the unnecessary delving into minor details makes a book like this lose its adventurous zest. Other than that, the story sounds quite magical and meaningful. Thanks for putting up a greatly detailed review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

SamaylaM wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 23:47 I agree that the unnecessary delving into minor details makes a book like this lose its adventurous zest. Other than that, the story sounds quite magical and meaningful. Thanks for putting up a greatly detailed review!
Thank you for your interest in the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”