Review of The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes

Post by ej_author »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes" by James M. Corkill.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill is a sci-fi thriller about an awakening spaceship that has lain dormant on Earth for millions of years. As freak weather patterns occur and two top-secret alien devices are unaccounted for, Alex Cave gets involved in a mystery leading to contact with alien life—but they are not on Earth to make peace. The spaceship’s intelligence, Pandora, is stringent about imposing the culture from her planet and determines that all humans with brown eyes must die. Alex has to negotiate with Pandora or find a way to stop the obliteration of the majority of the human race before it’s too late.

To start off, I love sci-fi, and I was very intrigued by this book from its description. The best thing about the story, on the whole, was the overall concept of aliens that determine worth by eye color. I also found it interesting that the spaceship’s computer was the most intelligent alien being in the book and not the actual people in the spaceship. I appreciated that the book was well-edited up until the last 30-50 pages.

However, while the book was founded on a great idea, I found that the story fell short of conveying it effectively. The book started off confusing, and from there I never quite caught back up. Pandora’s Eyes is meant to be a standalone story even though it is part of a series. Yet, from page one, I was thrown straight into the plot with multiple characters, locations, and references to past books without any explanations. Things only started making more sense to me when Alex encountered Seth and Pandora, which didn’t occur until one-third of the way through the book. Even then, the fact that this book was extremely dialogue-heavy made it difficult for me to envision what was going on, let alone engage with the story.

The constant dialogue did not do any favors for the plot or characters, either. The lack of descriptions meant that the burden of creating unique personalities for each character fell to the dialogue, but unfortunately, it was impossible to distinguish one character from another. I couldn’t find a single character to relate to, especially because the few female characters were all portrayed very sexually in a way that made me uncomfortable. As far as the plot, I recognized contradicting facts throughout the story and found the sequence of events unrealistic. Too many things happened conveniently, making for an overall unconvincing narrative.

The bottom line is that I just could not find anything to engage with or relate to in this story. The introduction was confusing, the characters did not have personalities or any kind of development, and the plot was devoid of exciting action. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this book for all of the reasons listed above. I give Pandora’s Eyes one out of four stars.

The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Its still commendable that you were able to convey the confusion of the story to others, thanks for your insightful review. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”