Review of Mercenary's Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review of Mercenary's Journey

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mercenary's Journey" by Colby Shillingburg.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Mercenary's Journey by Colby Shillingburg, a mercenary named Markus teams up with other warriors to save the world. As payment for a mission, Markus is given information about a powerful weapon, but he only finds the hilt of a dagger. As he returns to the kingdom of Takar, he is joined by two others, but when they reach Takar, they find it destroyed by the Legion of Typher. After finding a survivor, the group rushes to warn the other kingdoms of Evonica. Then they set out to stop the Legion of Typher. What role does the dagger hilt Markus found have? Will the group defeat the Legion? And will they all survive?

This was a fast paced action-adventure novella. My favorite thing was the plot. This type of saving the world quest is the kind of book I really enjoy reading. There was also a small twist at the end of the story that I didn’t expect.

However, I thought the writing was average, and there weren’t enough descriptions. There were some nice descriptions of the characters, but the rest of the book lacked descriptive details. The author didn’t paint a picture for me with his writing, so I had trouble getting into the story. There were also a few instances of missing details where a character would suddenly know something they hadn’t before, which confused me.

There was also very little characterization for any of the characters. I don’t expect there to be a lot in a novella, but I felt like I hadn’t even really gotten to know Markus. Markus’s development was also very fast. He is at first portrayed as selfish and only does something if he’ll be rewarded for it, but when the Legion of Typher appears, he is immediately focused on stopping them. I wish the author had included more about Markus’s thoughts and motivations throughout the story.

The thing I liked the least, though, were the two small subplots. While reading those parts, I just wanted to get back to the main plot. They didn’t add anything to the main story and could have been completely left out.

Along with the things I thought were lacking in the story, there were also many editing errors, primarily punctuation and spelling. Although there weren’t so many that they affected the flow of the story. Therefore, I have decided to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone looking for a short action-adventure story. There is some swearing, but there are no sexual situations or graphically described violence, so it is appropriate for teenagers.

Mercenary's Journey
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a quick adventurous story that's good if you don't want to read something complicated but I see why you weren't satisfied with it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

NetMassimo wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 02:59 This seems like a quick adventurous story that's good if you don't want to read something complicated but I see why you weren't satisfied with it. Thank you for your honest review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I'm curious to know if they were able to stop the legion of Typher. Great and compelling review you have there.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

A detailed and insightful review. Well done! :tiphat:
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I was really interested in the plot. The problems you highlighted on the character development might make me take a pass on this one. Thank you for the review!
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

First of all I kind of love the cover. Second, you have a great review here. I usually don't read novellas because of the lack of characterization you also pointed out in this book, so I probably won't be reading this particular one.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Character development is a big deal for me. This one might be a pass for me. Thank you for your honest review 👌
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Chiwelite O wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 07:26 I'm curious to know if they were able to stop the legion of Typher. Great and compelling review you have there.
Alheotuci wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 13:22 A detailed and insightful review. Well done! :tiphat:
marba wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 17:47 I was really interested in the plot. The problems you highlighted on the character development might make me take a pass on this one. Thank you for the review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Elena Nechita wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 07:24 First of all I kind of love the cover. Second, you have a great review here. I usually don't read novellas because of the lack of characterization you also pointed out in this book, so I probably won't be reading this particular one.
RHD wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 00:29 Character development is a big deal for me. This one might be a pass for me. Thank you for your honest review 👌
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This seems an amazing adventurous story. But because of too many errors, I might skip this book. Great review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Saving the world is always a good ground for a story! 😃 I wonder what the small surprising twist in the end was? However, this book sounds like it needs some more work in order to become a good book.

Thank you for an insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 10:15 This seems an amazing adventurous story. But because of too many errors, I might skip this book. Great review!
Kirsi_78 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 07:48 Saving the world is always a good ground for a story! 😃 I wonder what the small surprising twist in the end was? However, this book sounds like it needs some more work in order to become a good book.

Thank you for an insightful review!
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Markus' story sounds adventurous. Maybe I'll read this if the author considers a one more round of editing. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Unosthetic wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 07:11 Markus' story sounds adventurous. Maybe I'll read this if the author considers a one more round of editing. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”