Review of Chasing The Red Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Dsouza 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-dsouza-1.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Review of Chasing The Red Queen

Post by Sarah Dsouza 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista is an urban fantasy set in Canada. We see Donja and Torin along with their family and friends battle the evil that plagues their worlds. The book is narrated in third-person point of view and has multiple perspectives.

In the book, you see Lisa, Donja’s mother getting married to Carson. Donja still unable to come to terms with her father’s death, finds herself moving to a new city with a stepsister, Makayla who is a glam. Donja who has always been goth, instantly dislikes her. As she moves into the house and is forced to share a room with her, she realizes that maybe Makayla is not as bad as she thinks. You see the sisters bonding, when one day at an elite club Donja falls prey to a murderous predator. She flees the place and is scared for her life when she meets Torin. Torin is an Iridescent who joins the police force to eradicate any rogue Iridescent, so that their clan can remain a secret. But suddenly there are mysterious deaths of females around him. He finds himself at odds with the Council, the main body of the Iridescent. As his search goes on to find this murderer, he stumbles across Donja who he realizes is the next target of the Iridescent.

The aspects that I like about the book was that it had multiple perspectives. Also, this book deals with mental health issues and different ways people use to cope with it. Another aspect that I really liked was that I got to see Donja and Makayla bonding. You can see how when both are terrified of the changes in their lives, they become each other’s anchor and learn to cope with the loss of their parent. Grief is one of the main aspects and you see the sisters working their way through it.

The only aspect I did not like about this book was that at some places it was difficult to understand whose perspective I was reading. I would have preferred if either the chapter name or the first sentence would have stated the person’s name.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It was high-stakes, war, and everything I would ever want from a fantasy. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the urban fantasies are set in the U.S. but here the location was Canada. It was refreshing to see a new location and explore not just the city but also the Iridescent world.

I would recommend this book to those who like fantasies with vampires in it, as Iridescent and vampires are very similar. There are instances of profanity. There is sexual content seen in the book. Trigger warning: murder, rape, and bloodshed.

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”