Review of The Five Gifts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of The Five Gifts

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Five Gifts" by Daynan McGuire and Paulette McGuire.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's 2021, and there's an alien invasion! Everyone runs for the hills, and for the love of God, protect your precious brains! Only you shouldn't because these 'little guys' love us to death, they mean no harm, and they come bearing gifts. Shockingly amazing? The Five Gifts by Daynan McGuire and Paulette McGuire tell the story of the alien invasion in a slow-paced, suspenseful, and gripping tale.

It's a normal day in America, and the rest of the world, when the unusual occurs. Every frequency is interrupted, and a strange announcement reverberates. It's a terrifying experience for Henry Clark, his wife, Maggie, and the rest of the world. Questions fly around without answers, and fear grips everyone. In a little while, the United Nations have the situation under control. However, the tides quietly turn with the appearance of the aliens, 'The Proletariat,' as they prefer to be addressed, which seems to be the best miracle from heaven. Life becomes jolly and a merry-go-round. Never in a thousand years would this have been possible. It's all so good to be true. Could it be a sticky trap? But what could 'The proletariat' possibly want from Earth and its inhabitants? Read this book to find out.

I love how Daynan McGuire and Paulette McGuire spared the readers a lot of scientific and technical mumbo-jumbo and employed a writing style easy to enjoy. I like the use of humor that warmed the pages and kept them light-hearted.

The book struck a longing in me for a certain kind of utopia that our world may never see. The words used were very descriptive, making it easier for readers to create a mental image of the scenes.

On the other hand, the point of view used in the book is unclear and confusing, as the authors alternated between three narratives. The sequence of events at some point was a bit jumbled and repetitive, which was disorienting. Also, there are quite a few spelling and punctuation errors in the book.

Furthermore, I observed some mix-ups of names, oversights of timeline, and quite redundant characters that were mentioned but hardly engaged. For example, it was previously mentioned in the book that Lea gave birth to a daughter named Emily, and then later in the book, it's mentioned that Lea gave birth to twins instead named Tammy and Maggie. These errors were very tiring and disrupted the pull of the story. I believe the book needs another round of editing to make it a flawless one. Therefore, I rate The Five Gifts 2 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to sci-fi lovers, adventure enthusiasts, fans of mysterious stories, and anyone who wouldn't mind easy leisure read of mischievous aliens and gullible humans.

The Five Gifts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Science fiction isn't my favorite genre so I'll pass on this one. Lovers of the genre will enjoy it. However, I must commend the reviewer.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

I always love books which have outer space stuff in them. And the plot of this book seems pretty interesting ro me. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It looks like this novel has potential hindered by what seems the lack of proper editing, so I hope the authors revise their novel to develop that potential properly. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

Alien invasion is an intriguing theme that is quite fascinating. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Mathews Panyako
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Mathews Panyako »

Intresting reviews. It is characterised by facts and geneity on what exactly the author did right and probably where extra efforts need to be pumped in.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The five gifts is an intriguing book that talks about alien invasion, Wonderful storyline. Thanks for your great review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, the book is filled with suspense although it's not fast-paced. It's a representation of alien invasion, and I think the author did a good job. I would love to know if Henryand his wife survived the invasion. Thanks for your review.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

The plot of the story line was intriguing. If the author fixed the issues you pointed out, it would be a fantastic book to read.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

Five Gifts involves an alien invasion that disturbs the existence of humans on earth. The author's writing style is quite an unique. In my opinion, this book is intriguing and it has some lessons that readers would gain from. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”