Review of Reaper's Blood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Reaper's Blood

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reaper's Blood" by EA Turley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On her sixteenth birthday, Amelia stands her ground about wanting her paternal grandfather in her life. Her mother has managed to keep her grandfather out of the picture for sixteen years, but Amelia has just discovered that she is from a bloodline of reapers, and her grandfather is The Grim Reaper. This discovery has also led to the unlocking of her powers. Her resolve and her father's support eventually make her mother move out.

When a night of dining out leads to an accident that claims Amelia's parents, she is entrusted into the care of her grandfather. Upon further investigation, they discover that her parents' death was not an accident; it was an attempt on her father's life. At the point of punishing one of the culprits, Amelia grows into her powers and becomes known as The Arbitrator, but her story is just beginning. Who killed Amelia's parents and why? Does she use her powers for good or evil?

Reaper's Blood by EA Turley is a paranormal story written from the perspective of its central character, Amelia. The author sufficiently conveyed Amelia's emotions at the sudden turn her life took. I could feel the purity of her heart and the growth her experiences forced on her after she was thrown into a new world that she knew nothing about. While she handled her new reality better than expected, the author didn't skimp over the fact that it was her resilience, not her newfound abilities, that helped her navigate her failures, obstacles, and grief.

Most of the major characters, especially Amelia, were well developed. It was interesting to read the similarities and differences between Amelia's relationship with her father, mother, and grandfather. Given the story's premise, I expected a little more intrigue and suspense, but it underperformed slightly in this regard. This was countered, however, with the story's fast pace and witty humor. The worldbuilding was also better than in many other stories I've read in this genre. It wasn't just another story with the regular vampires, witches, demons, and werewolves; Turley included new creatures that I'd never heard of before, such as the jackal shifter and the bear shifter. He also included the relatively less used dire wolf. I found this uniqueness refreshing.

Besides the slight lack of moments of tension in the story—and it could be argued that this is subjective—there were no other negative points about it. I found no grammatical issues while reading, which means its editing was pristine, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this story to lovers of supernatural and paranormal stories and ocurrences.

Reaper's Blood
View: on Bookshelves
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds interesting to me and I would love to read this to find out who killed her parent. Great review.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I find it quite an interesting take to have the granddaughter of the grim reaper as the main character. I don't think I have read a book that has taken this direction so it sounds refreshing. Well done on your review :). You did a great job and made the book sound very intriguing.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Nice review! This book has a lot of twist and i would want to read it.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

This sounds like a book I would absolutely love to read. I'm always after the next new paranormal book to keep my hunger fed. Thanks for the review!
ArunBohra33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ArunBohra33 »

This seems like a great and interesting story. After reading the review I am wanting to know about who was the criminal in the story and what happened to Amelia.
Latifah Quinn
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-latifah-quinn.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Latifah Quinn »

The book looks interesting and it's taking us to a new supernatural realm that I'm totally up for. Good review
Jainab Salmano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Jainab Salmano »

I really like this book and also it was very interesting story. After reading the review I'm really want to know who was the culprit and what's happening next in the story.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that I’ll read it. Everyone has difficulties with their families and Amelia is no exception.
S_tae_gma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by S_tae_gma »

I really like fantasy. It gives me thrill that I want in my life and I'm eager to know what's happening and the new creatures are really interesting. I would love to lead the book.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I grew up knowing both sides of my grandparents. I can't imagine how it is for Amelia to discover her grandfather at 16 and also find out that he is a Grim Repear.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel's premise is curious and seems well used to create an interesting storyline that also contains humor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Knowing that her grandfather was the Grim Reaper must have been one big shock. I've never come across a book with a story like this and your review has left me curious.
Thank you.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
abadamiy
Currently Reading: Forgotten Heroes of wW-II, the French Resistance
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by abadamiy »

This seems like a great and interesting story. After reading the review, would love to know the end of amelia
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

I really like that she faced the different situations well because of her resilience and not because of her power. Sometimes it just feels too convenient in every situation if you're able to do something only because of your powers. Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”