Review of The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

Post by Jydel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races" by JDeVereS.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races is not an ordinary journal. The entries are not the same way they typically are in journals. It is in prose form like a story. In the prologue, Eirin is trying to reconstruct their Elvin heritage by translating the journal’s hieroglyphics. He has discovered the mind stones, but so far, everything he has tried has hit a snag. He still cannot figure out how to fully bond to the power stones. Before he can give up, he comes across The Journal of Garith De’Graoin. Here Garith has documented accounts of his team, The Misfits. The stories are detailed and include the position of each individual and the powers they possess.

The Misfits team, under the leadership of warder Garith, is tasked with preserving lives. The lives in their universe are in danger from a strong enemy. He has created a plague that threatens the lives of everyone. The team has to figure out how to stop the plague from sweeping through the universe. Their quest involves fighting the dark lord, Adad. Their success is dependent on finding the energy source of the enemy. They have to find the mother and save her from her throne or destroy her. The team has to combine their unique abilities in confronting the enemy. The enemy is so strong and considers himself the supreme, a God to those he rules. Those who do not conform get eliminated.

I like the way DeVereS has harmonized the two stories with different timelines. In the journal, Eirin gets the answers to his questions. The reader also gets to understand how things end up with Eirin. Has he figured out how the mind stones work? The use of a prologue and epilogue has helped achieve this. I only wish he would have expounded on the story of Eirin along with the use of the power stones. The use of humor in the book will also leave you in stitches. I truly loved the exchange between Dawn and Huang when they first met.

I cannot say there is anything I did not like in the book. The book is superbly written and seems to have been professionally edited. I did not encounter errors in the novel in the course of my reading. As a result, I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is Fantastical Adventure which involves elves, dragons, and fairies. Anyone who enjoys stories of fantasy coupled with scientific adventures will have to read for themselves. I can recommend it to adults who like the genre due to the mild erotic scenes. I believe teens can also enjoy the book despite the mildly erotic content.

The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”