Review of Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kratika Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kratika-joshi.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Review of Fish Wielder

Post by Kratika Joshi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison is fantasy fiction which also feels like a parody of the genre. The book revolves around Thoral the Fist Wielder and his Koi fish friend Brad who embark on a journey to defeat the Bad religion and their leader, The Heartless One, and prevent them from ruling over the world of Grome. It is a plot-driven story, hence other than the protagonist Thoral, not much attention is devoted to the other characters.

The story seems like any other fantasy, with the protagonist trying to save the world with his friend. But it is far from any simple fantasy story. The story is a mixture of romance, adventure, humor, and action all in one. The parody style of writing the book exaggerates and plays around with the descriptions that are hilarious and witty. The author didn't shy away from calling out the discrepancies innate to fantasy stories using the character voices. The story has references to many popular fantasy novels like The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wonderful Wizard of the Oz.

What I loved about the story was that the author was able to seamlessly induce the parodic tone in the story while not disrupting the rhythm of the plot. It not only made the story humorous but also kept me interested till the end. Another thing that kept me engaged throughout is the descriptive style of writing. The author was successful in capturing the scene, moment, and reactions skillfully. It made the story vivid and more colorful to read. The book is nearly 300 pages long, and I believe, is edited professionally. Hence, I rate 4 out of 4 stars to this book.

There's nothing that I didn't like about the book. It was a captivating and light-hearted read. I would recommend fans of fantasy and comedy to give this book a go.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”