Review of Legends of Andolin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review of Legends of Andolin

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legends of Andolin" by A. M. Portman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Legends of Andolin: Adella of the Campos is a fictional adventure book written by A.M. Portman. You can easily separate this book into three major parts depending on the journey that takes place. This book is the first in a series and is a great start to an incredible adventure.

After a raid and attack on her home, Adella sets out after the Sornian raiders to find her brother. She is worried they are keeping him hostage and will sell him or take him to Sornia. Adella joins forces with Kol, a Sornian, who is a traitor to his people. He agrees to help her after she offers him payment. They eventually run into Terrasa and Armand, the housekeeper and butler of her family. Armand needs to be treated because he has caught the red ague. Meanwhile, Adella opens a package that holds an ancient artifact. It was sent to her by her dear friend, Captain Declan. He asks her to keep the item safe and away from people's eyes. However, Adella then gets caught by the enemy. Will she find Lucas at the enemy camp? Or will the enemy discover the artifact?

While reading the book, I could see how much Adella and her friends grew. The character development was phenomenal. When I first started reading, I disliked how childish Adella was and how her arguments were slightly selfish. But, by the end of the book, I loved how much she grew. She became strong, considerate, and careful. After every single hardship, all the characters developed in their own way. This book is exceptionally edited, as I noticed no errors at all.

Unfortunately, I found the book to be a bit too slow in the beginning. It took some time to get used to the flow, and I spent more time reading than I usually would. However, it did not affect my enjoyment of the book. I also wish we got to know more about a few characters, such as Adella's parents. However, I am hoping we get to see that in future books.

The book deserves to be given 4 out of 4 stars. It is exceptionally edited, has an enjoyable storyline, and there is the promise of a sequel. I do not believe my negative points justify taking a star away.

Initially, when I started reading Legends of Andolin, I told myself this would be perfect for a younger audience. I could imagine myself as a 15-year-old reading this book and enjoying it. Therefore, I would recommend the book to older teenagers and young adults. There was nothing too graphic in the book because the battle scenes were not horrific. There were a few crude jokes but nothing explicit or noticeable.

Legends of Andolin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old for this novel but it seems well-constructed and engaging, so it will likely be successful among its target readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly seems like the beginning of a great series. I'm really curious about what the artifact is as you certainly piqued my interest. Great job!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

The book seems like full of adventures. Would love to read about Adella more. You wrote review in a great manner. Thank you for the amazing review!!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I began reading this story but dropped it because I didn't really like Adella. However, it seems like I quit too soon. I might get back to it after reading your review. Thank you for the great review as always!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I always love to follow characters' development and inner growth, so I'd love to read this one :) Thank you for a great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a good adventure, so your excellent review made me very curious!. Thank you for your recommendation!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

NetMassimo wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 07:09 I might be too old for this novel but it seems well-constructed and engaging, so it will likely be successful among its target readers. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you :)
Prisallen wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 08:04 This certainly seems like the beginning of a great series. I'm really curious about what the artifact is as you certainly piqued my interest. Great job!
There are so many great series out and this one definitely has potential!
Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 08:37 The book seems like full of adventures. Would love to read about Adella more. You wrote review in a great manner. Thank you for the amazing review!!
Thank you for your kind words!
smolbird wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 08:46 I began reading this story but dropped it because I didn't really like Adella. However, it seems like I quit too soon. I might get back to it after reading your review. Thank you for the great review as always!
I wasn't the biggest fan of Adella at the start either, I am glad she redeemed herself. Thank you :)
Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:21 I always love to follow characters' development and inner growth, so I'd love to read this one :) Thank you for a great review!
Character development is very important to me! Thank you.
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:52 I love a good adventure, so your excellent review made me very curious!. Thank you for your recommendation!
Thank you so much! :D
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is a perfect book for adventure lovers. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the author has paid full attention to character development. That is the basis of every good novel. Thanks for the good review.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The book is about sorian has played great role in the story surrounded by virtues. Review is also excellent, I kept reading it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love books for this age audience. It sounds like an interesting story. However, I wonder if I would be able to get past the slow start. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I have the feeling that I am somewhat too old to fully appreciate this story, but it sounds like a good read all the same. Thanks for the great review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The names of the characters and locations sound familiar. I like the fact that the characters are well developed and that there isn't much violence because science fiction books can sometimes be gory.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

This sounds like a great adventure story, perfect for a Sunday afternoon. Great work with such a detailed review. 👍
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”