Review of A Virus Called Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of A Virus Called Dog

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Virus Called Dog" by Warwick Renton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With contemporary science, philosophy, and technology drills, what will be of our world if these wild scientists take the lead? Warwick Renton, in his book, A Virus Called Dog, gave us a glimpse into such a world.

Stanley Luka, who was given the nickname, Stupid Stanley, was one of the major characters in the book. He was rejected by his father, Cain. He was also marginalized by society and demoted from his job as a Mentorian Guard. Stanley sojourned in the city of Mentoria amid guilt and fear. But he grew as a result of these experiences. He always thought that there's a second identity that followed him since he constantly experienced troubles that are bigger than him. Soon after, his sister became ill, and this would be the event that sent him on an adventure beyond the city walls to find a solution. This journey would open him up to new places, people, cultures, and unusual animals. Would he succeed in his journey?

There's a lot to like about this book. The factors I liked ranged from the mysterious lifestyle of the martyrs in the "Valley of the Martyrs" to the spookiness of the "Field of Crying Babies." I particularly liked the breathtaking adventures and the human-like behaviors assigned to animals. I also liked how the story began. It seemed ambiguous from the start, and then the author found a way to allow the fog to dissipate, as he permitted the rays of understanding to hit the reader in the process. His character development was out of this world. Likewise, I would like readers to experience the author's descriptive skills, especially his distribution of different body cues and internal sensations for different emotions. An instance of this was that when Stanley is at the peak of negative emotion, he still finds a way to calm himself. I would, furthermore, commend the author's verbal artistry, as he did a good job using words to paint profound pictures and emotions.

Amid all these, the only thing I disliked about the book was the staleness of the first couple of sections. It will take patient readers, ardent readers, to understand the first few pages. Apart from these issues, nothing else was a challenge for me while I read the book.

The errors were just a few; therefore, I believe the book was still professionally edited. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who love science fiction and adventurous novels.

A Virus Called Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

The title of this book is catchy, and with everything I've read from this review, the story itself is interesting. Interesting review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I want to find out about Stanley. ‘Stupid Stanley’ is just mean. I hope he finds what he’s looking for. Good review!
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

This looks like a book written with utmost imagination and creativity. A cast of animals among others sure makes it unique. A great review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Nice review, a promising underdog story, adding it to my list.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Title sounds like an interesting read, review sounds like an underdog story. Great and detailed work. 👍
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”