Review of Open Your Eyes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Open Your Eyes

Post by DTamara »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Open Your Eyes" by Frank Dunne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book and wished hard that you could inhabit the author's mind, if only for a few minutes? Open Your Eyes by Frank Dunne made me curious to see what kind of person comes up with a multiverse realm, split into its coexisting corporeal and celestial counterparts, and a world where humans are the most mundane out of a myriad of intelligent species.

The themes behind this collection of short stories cover a lot of ground. First, the author starts with a narrative centered around the realm of celestial beings. A group of angels revolt against the restrictive rules and the strict hierarchy in place. The angels take on personalities, emotions, much like human beings, except they are much more powerful. The author references several religious figures: Jesus, Adriel, Azazel, Muriel, Lucifer, Archangel Gabriel, and the Essene community. Many of these figures are common and present in more than one major religion, namely Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. The author, however, spins up a completely different narrative around them. Therefore, the religious character of the stories is superficial despite appearances. Other themes include an intergalactic love story, the beliefs, and legends of the Oglala subtribe of the Lakota people living on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, the clash between the Indigenous Peoples and the Western civilization, and lastly, the Jersey Devil, the mythical creature inhabiting the Pine Barrens in Southern New Jersey.

Each story brought with it something new and unexpected. Yet, all the stories collectively form a cohesive package. There are two main reasons why: the writing is highly intellectual regardless of the matter, and the topics are deep. Finally, the author's superpower is convincing the reader that all of the stories coexist in the fantastic world that is Frank Dunne's world. Open Your Eyes is not a light read. It is the kind of book that requires focus and brainpower to assimilate everything Frank Dunne packs in there. I learned a lot from this book, especially about the mythology of different cultures, fascinating legends, and folklore that I doubt I would have found otherwise.

I am thoroughly captivated by Frank Dunne's imagination. I rarely come across an author able to build a solid world in such a record time. The characters are likewise very carefully developed. On top of it, I admire how the author always sneaks in a surprise or two for the reader. Based on this short stories collection, I am positive that Frank Dunne is a master in the craft of writing. I liked absolutely everything about this book.

I rate Open Your Eyes 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to all fantasy and science fiction fans. I also recommend it to anyone who is curious and likes to explore new frontiers.

Open Your Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

A very thoughtful review, though the author sounds to have overreached in trying to place mysticism, fantasy and fiction in the same book. Still sounds as an interesting read.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think i will like this one. It sounds as if the multiverse you suggested is what Frank Dunne is trying to develop here. That’s extremely interesting to me.
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Eloque3locks wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:48 A very thoughtful review, though the author sounds to have overreached in trying to place mysticism, fantasy and fiction in the same book. Still sounds as an interesting read.
Thanks. True, there is a lot going on in this one, I have personally never read anything like it before, and I loved it.
Nandini Mukherjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nandini-mukherjee.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nandini Mukherjee »

The review has made me curious about its contents and i would love to know how it encompasses all the various elements from mythology. Lastly, it was indeed a reflective review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Amy Luman wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:00 I think i will like this one. It sounds as if the multiverse you suggested is what Frank Dunne is trying to develop here. That’s extremely interesting to me.
Technically, it is part of the first story. However, there is something magical about each of the setups of the stories. And what I tried to express is that they really come together nicely, despite treating very different topics.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

DTamara wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 07:30
Eloque3locks wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:48 A very thoughtful review, though the author sounds to have overreached in trying to place mysticism, fantasy and fiction in the same book. Still sounds as an interesting read.
Thanks. True, there is a lot going on in this one, I have personally never read anything like it before, and I loved it.
I am sure as would I. You are very welcome. :tiphat:
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

After reading your review I just want to have this book right now in my hands and wants to start reading. I don't know what to say further, this book looks so fascinating and the genre is my all time favorite. The cover design is so brilliant and going with the plot. I liked your taste while picking up any book dear. Actually, I think so we both love reading similar kinds of book. I sincerely admire your writing skills too. Thank you for such an amazing review!!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Wow, this seems like a very ambitious project for the author. I think it might cover too many topics for me to keep straight, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:11 After reading your review I just want to have this book right now in my hands and wants to start reading. I don't know what to say further, this book looks so fascinating and the genre is my all time favorite. The cover design is so brilliant and going with the plot. I liked your taste while picking up any book dear. Actually, I think so we both love reading similar kinds of book. I sincerely admire your writing skills too. Thank you for such an amazing review!!
Thanks a lot, glad you like it, we do seem to be have a similar taste indeed :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a unique plot line. I appreciate unique stories, but I don't think this one is for me due to the religious figures. Thanks for the enlightening review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

[*]
kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 10:26 This sounds like a unique plot line. I appreciate unique stories, but I don't think this one is for me due to the religious figures. Thanks for the enlightening review though.
Thanks, normally it puts me off as well. This one didn't though, which astounded me.
valiantecho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valiantecho.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by valiantecho »

This looks so fascinating. It's a very thoughtful review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I enjoy short stories and this one seems intruiging and captivating. Thanks for a well-detailed review and recommendations.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite a unique collection of stories with brave choices considering the fact that their protagonists are religious figures. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”