Review of Choose The Sun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Choose The Sun

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Choose The Sun" by Kent Safford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story kicks off when Professor Edgar Marten is found unconscious and blood-soaked in his house by his Irish housekeeper, Mrs. Farrell. Soon after he turns conscious, a group of young adults suffers what is believed to be gastroenteritis, which places them into a comatose. Edgar summons Dr. Lawrence Williams, a university dean, and other experts, telling them he believes that the young adults could be suffering from something more sinister.

This new plaque, as experienced by patients like Cassidy Schoolcraft, is powerful enough to perform age and sex reversals. With such crucial changes taking place, the inhabitants only have two options: you “choose the sun” and acclimatize to the severe changes, or your life ends. Given the two options, what would you adopt? With time travel as part of the plot, Choose The Sun by Kent Safford is a thought-provoking piece that’ll blow your brains out.

There are many things I liked. Firstly, the book is filled with suspense, twists, and turns from the characters. Then there’s the impeccable character development. Lawrence understood the need to mend his relationship with his strayed son after his wife’s death. The unity and teamwork among the characters were worth noting. Professor Edgar dropped everything to help Lawrence upon the demise of the latter's wife. On the other hand, during Edgar’s stay in the hospital, Lawrence was sick worried about his dear friend.

Another thing the author did well at was the use of metaphors. One relevant metaphor Kent masterfully employed was the book’s title which becomes lucid to the readers towards the end of the story. With installments involving medical puzzles, medical slang is often inevitable. Nonetheless, Safford did an exceptional job at explaining their meanings in layman language.

Every character acknowledged their role and executed it skillfully, which raced the tale to a compelling end. I enjoyed the vivid descriptions in the book. Though bloody and unpleasant sometimes, I could easily create impressions about the happenings of the story.

I only found very few errors; consequently, the work is professionally edited. We have a book about a profound medical enigma interwoven with aspects of gender roles. And while at it, this book was published amid an ongoing pandemic. I, therefore, found the installment relatable to the contemporary Coronavirus experiences. With such heated dialogues involving gender reversals, I hope there will be a sequel. I thoroughly enjoyed this work, and did not discover anything to dislike. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this publication to readers intrigued by the idea of time travel.

Choose The Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Seems a bit confusing.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

It seems like a lot is going on in the book. Sci-Fi books are usually complex. This would be an interesting read. Thank you for your review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Age AND sex reversals! What an illness! I’ve recently gotten into sci-fi and this sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that uses some science fiction tropes to offer food for thought about some important topics. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

The fact that is current makes it even more interesting. Thank you for the review ;)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”