Review of New City Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself: A Commodity of Musings from My Life by Jeffrey Paul Bailey

Review of New City Chronicles

Post by gabrielletiemi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New City Chronicles" by E.L. Hendrix.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the Final War, the Earth became a dystopian post-apocalyptic scenario where Devan Elaniel, the Archon of New City, tries to rule the world. His next objective is to obtain power and immortality by consummating a bonding ritual with Tabitha Norean, one of Erafel’s descendants, on her twenty-first birthday. However, she found out that she wasn’t the only descendant when she met her sister Ariel Water, who seems to have clairvoyant powers that might change their destinies. Now that Tabitha’s twenty-first birthday is coming, she needs to find out what to do to prevent the achievement of Elaniel’s ambitions while trying to understand her own origin.

New City Chronicles: Book II - The Eye of the Storm by E.L. Hendrix is a sci-fi/fantasy novel narrated by Mark Verigratu, Ariel’s husband, from the first-person and third-person perspective. The book has a map, a glossary of terms and acronyms, and a list of characters to help the reader understand the novel’s environment better. It brings several aspects from sci-fi books, but it also has suspense and mystical elements. For example, we see creatures named carmelineals, who can mimic and possess people.

My favorite part of the book was the author’s ability to construct the world with detail. The entire scenario has complex stories from the world’s past, ceremonies, and prophecies. Nevertheless, various other details contribute to compose the novel’s atmosphere. For example, the author makes the characters ask questions that the reader might think too, connecting the loose ends. Besides, we can find jargon for specific areas, noble titles, and even chemical substances. The book brings the reader inside the book with those terms and descriptions that make it even more engaging and plausible, even though it is a sci-fi novel.

There wasn’t anything I didn’t enjoy in this amazing novel. The character development is excellent, as well as the world’s construction and the dialogues. Furthermore, I can say that this book seems professionally edited since I found only a few errors in my reading, and they didn’t disrupt me.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is an exceptional sci-fi book with a unique world construction, interesting characters, and an engaging narrative. I recommend this book to those readers who love dystopian sci-fi books with magical creatures and a lot of suspense too. However, I don’t recommend it to those readers who are sensitive to the themes of physical and sexual abuse since this book might be triggering to them.

New City Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by shreyagupta »

The book sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review!
Benaron
2021 Reading Goal: 42
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

With intricate world building and a well developed plot, this book seems like an intriguing read!
asteel18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: The Society of Living Poets by Andrew McCollister
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I'm not typically a fan of sci-fi, but this sounds very interesting. Thanks for such a detailed review!
Urvashi Tripathi
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

The plot seems interesting. I like reading sci-fi as through it I get know to many people's imagination powers are above this world. I'm adding this book in my TBR. Thank you for the beautiful review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by NISSE »

I am not much of a series science fiction fan.Hence, I will skip this for now.Nevertheless, great review!
Chanduchari26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chanduchari26 »

Yes, it is very interesting one. And that too woman is so impressive behaviour
Eloque3locks
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eloque3locks.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Eloque3locks »

Gone are the days of a male protagonist in Sci-fi stories though it seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for the great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: All Clear
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Flight by Francis M. Burrows

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting mix of science fiction and fantasy elements that are used to build a terrific fictional world inhabited by well-constructed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
valiantecho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valiantecho.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by valiantecho »

Well I would really like to know about the world's construction. As it would be something unique and I've never read something like it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”