Review of Lily's Quest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review of Lily's Quest

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily's Quest" by S.J. Savage.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reader, I’m not really a fan of paranormal horror. Movies like Poltergeist aren’t really appealing to me, mostly because I suffer from nightmares after. In some ways, this is why I had trouble reading S. A. Savage's Lily’s Quest: Beyond the Thin Veil of Parallel Dimensions.

In this story about a little girl with tremendous psychic abilities, we’re treated to a struggle between good and evil. Ever since Lily could remember, she’s seen things that others can’t. Shadow People haunt her at night. During the day, the dead come to her. When her parents seek help from the medium, Edith MacKenzie, things become direr as a plot to bring evil to the world is uncovered.

I really liked the book. If I could give it a full rating, I would, but I’m giving it 3 out of 4 stars. It’s fun, a little horrifying and, mostly, just interesting in a lot of ways. This would include the science involved, the paranormal, and how Lily's perspective is presented without sounding childish.

This last bit is pretty important to me as I gave the book the rating I did partly because of it. Savage could have made Lily sound childish and much younger, almost like a baby, but the author didn’t do that. Instead, Lily is curious, mischievous and intelligent. Doing this makes it much easier to digest the grim content of the book, as well as to simply understand what’s going on.

I also liked that Savage didn’t give Lily the additional problem of having to deal with everything on her own. She has friends, family and a mentor, making everything that happens a group effort. This was nice as it meant that there was something for me to cling to when it became too scary for me to read for a while.

The other characters made the rating worth it as well. I really liked Lily's mom, Annie, and her mentor, Mrs. MacKenzie. They made the book seem more adult without discrediting Lily’s perspective. In fact, I think they validated it quite a bit with their own experiences with the paranormal, not to mention their doubts and fears. I really did feel like I was reading about a family when I saw through their perspective, and it aligned with Lily’s.

The action in the book was well worth the stars as well. Though it extended over a long period of time, the book never felt slow. Nor did it feel rushed, to be honest. The pace felt just about right for something that dealt with the paranormal, and it kept me turning pages to find out more.

The only downside I can think of, if I must find one, is that the book is riddled with errors. Most of them are a matter of punctuation, but they’re still noticeable enough that I think it would benefit from an editor’s sharp eye and pen.

That being said, Lily’s Quest is an excellent novel. I loved the action, the characters and even the few scares I got out of it. Fans of paranormal adventures and sci-fi mixed in with their fantasy will love this book. I know I did.

Happy reading, everyone!

Lily's Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I totally understand when you said that you were glad Lily didn’t have to do everything on her own. I know a lot of books which are unrealistic like that, especially YA ones. I do wonder how much you would rate the scariness of this book, I’m just as terrified of scary stuff as you are!
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I checked out this book a while ago, but after reading about how Lily saw the shadow people, I wasn't so eager to take on the book. I too am not a fan of any kind of horror. Your review has me second guessing, though.
You did an impressive job on this review.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow would be an interesting see shadows, the dead what a thrilling book. So sorry is not your kind. Good review
Cezyl Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cezyl-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Post by Cezyl Rodriguez »

Now I am interested as I am very much into horror, suspense and grotesque genre. Great review!
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

I'm not into horror, but it sounds like this book was tolerable from the horror aspect. Thanks for a great review!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Everyone needs help now and then, especially children. I’m glad Lily had her mother and another adult.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Excellent Review! I might need to look at it after seeing so many reviews on it.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I love reading paranormal horror books and plot itself seems interesting. I want to know what happens to Lily and why she keeps on seeing all this evil things. I'm adding this book in my TBR. Thank you for the beautiful review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging paranormal story with well-constructed characters, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anahamzah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anahamzah »

Such a spooky story, would love to see Lily’s adventures! good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”