Review of The Protectors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Protectors

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Protectors" by Timothy P. Callahan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Haven is a city with several superpowered humans known collectively as the Evolutionite. One of them, Bridget, is caught in a web of problems when she loses control of her powers in her high school gym, killing some students in the process. Mister Firestorm, Haven's richest citizen, extends a helping hand to Bridget's mother, Mary, to keep her daughter out of jail. Not being able to afford a good lawyer to take on her daughter's case, Mary accepts Firestorm's help, and he gets them the best lawyers money can buy. Katherine, Mary's best friend and Bridget's godmother, leaves Haven for Philadelphia because she wants no part of Firestorm's involvement with her friend. Katherine has worked with Firestorm before and believes he is not trustworthy.

Meanwhile, Bridget's best friend, Rosalyn, had been kidnapped by Destructo, a maniac AI robot. Rosalyn has psychic powers, and Destructo wants to harness her ability to create bodies for himself and his robot army to take over the world and replace humans with robots. The only way to save the world now is to rescue Rosalyn and get rid of Destructo for good. Does Destructo succeed? Is Rosalyn rescued? What do Bridget's predicament and Firestorm's involvement have to do with Rosalyn's capture and Destructo's mission?

Timothy P. Callahan's The Protectors was an exciting read with enough action and suspense to keep me reading. While the author employed several well-established sci-fi tropes, his descriptive ability brought these tropes—and the entire plot—to life and made the story feel unique. I have an overactive imagination, so I enjoyed reading many of the action scenes where the characters put their superpowers to use. I enjoyed reading about the different abilities of the characters. One could teleport, another could take on someone else's appearance, and another had no physical body but could transport his consciousness from one computer to another.

I was also impressed with the way the author gradually built suspense until the end of the book. There's a difference between building suspense and delaying the plot, and thankfully, Callahan didn't fall into the trap of the latter. Perhaps the best quality of this story for me was its ability to entertain as a standalone novel; this book is the sixth novel in The Evolutionite Chronicles, yet I didn't feel like I was missing some information at any point.

My favorite character in this story was Rosalyn. I admired her selfless nature and how she often put other people's interests before her own. This was significantly evident in her relationship with her loved ones. Also, she was a genius in programming and robotics, and her superpowers fell in step with her talents. Rosalyn could program fully functional robots with nothing but her mind and build them out with her hands. The way Callahan developed her characters, I wished I could have her talents and powers.

I found less than a handful of grammatical errors while reading, which means the book was professionally edited. There was nothing to hate about this book, so I gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It was a fantastic story with exciting characters, properly utilized sci-fi tropes, and sufficient suspense. If you love sci-fi and action-packed movies or novels, this book is for you.

The Protectors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
namere isaac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by namere isaac »

Thanks for the review it's really well constructed with all components I have loved it
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Wow great review. Am curious to know what this Destructo robot will do to Rosalyn. Seems like a thrilling story.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

This is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for the well-put-together review.
Bhawana06

Post by Bhawana06 »

I'm always interested in such action thriller books...thanks for putting this here. Amazing book and I would suggest it to my friends too
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Thanks for a great review. I feel for these teenagers who don’t know quite what to do with themselves. Superpowers are harder than they seem.
Jevontague

Post by Jevontague »

Thank you for a great review! Your review has me itching to read the book myself. Sci-fi and fantasy are great ways to help teenagers with their own journeys of self-discovery and I love that it is part of a series so that if I recommend the text to my students they can continue reading more of the texts on their own.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that uses science fiction tropes to create a story that is a lot of fun to read. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

I seldom enjoy sci-fi novels but this book interests me a bit. Anyway, thanks for your detailed review.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

This really intrest me. I am sure its going to be a good read. Nice review.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I recently read a book were the main character failed to control her powers many time and this made her to suffer way too much. This book plot is little similar to that one. I really loved that book and I hope I would love to give this book worth my time. I want to know what happens to Bridget at the end. Thank you for the beautiful review.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

I don't think I've had much luck with sci-fi novels, the plot and overall story-telling always seem too complex. But I would definitely give this a try, it seems fun and not to overdone. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”