Review of Think Again

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover Becca
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Review of Think Again

Post by Booklover Becca »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Think Again" by Richard Nelson Kane.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you imagined what would potentially happen if technology advanced so far that Artificial Intelligence takes over humanity? In Think Again, author Richard Nelson Kane explores this idea through the process of creating one specific invention: thought-reading technology.

Jon Stone has an idea; to create what could become the most important invention in the history of humanity. He recruits a team of scientists to create this groundbreaking technology. The team’s initial motivations were noble: they wanted to use the tech to communicate with patients with limited or no verbal communication. However, as time progresses and they reach nearer their goal with trillions of dollars on the line, paranoia deepens among the team and leads to betrayal among friends.

The initial plan to sell the invention to Evan McGowan, the richest man in the world, is derailed after Stone uses the technology against McGowan and learns of the latter’s desire to rule the world. Soon after, the invention becomes the focus of President Ronald Strump and the entire American government. Meanwhile, a young man named Stanley Lewis is out for justice against the man who killed his girlfriend and considers the invention to be his only hope to prove the suspect’s guilt. The race is on among all the parties to get to the technology before anyone else while the scientists attempt to prevent one group from taking control of the entire world.

I found the idea behind the story intriguing. Kane describes and warns against the amount of control one person or government would have over the whole world if something like this were to be developed. He begins with a very dynamic way of telling the story, focusing on each character and their backgrounds, until they are all brought together. Kane frequently uses narrative inside each of the characters’ heads that is rather amusing at times; using sarcasm and pointing out irony within a situation.

Unfortunately, the negative aspects outweigh the positives. There is not enough space for me to list every instance that frustrated me, so I’ll explain my top issues. The dynamic story-telling that pulled me in initially devolved rather quickly as the pace of the story both lagged in some places and rushed by in other moments. It felt like there were moments when the author maybe deleted some sentences or scenes and forgot to re-edit, leading to some confusing moments while reading.

The characters did not feel well-developed at all. Everyone had one main characteristic and every other part of their personality fell flat, except for Jon Stone who is morally infallible and can take down trained bodyguards at a moment's notice. He is also called “handsome” by every woman whose thoughts he reads, even when they are suspicious of him. Then there is the character of President Ronald Strump who brings an unnecessary political side to the story when it would have been just as, if not more, affective of a technique to know how a more realistic president would abuse his power. Instead, Strump throws a temper tantrum and fires almost all the White House staff in just a few paragraphs. This is added on to the fact that about a hundred pages prior to Strump’s introduction, the author stated the president was a woman, again leading to some confusing moments for me as the reader.

Finally, while I understand the motivation for the side story of Stanley Lewis going after the technology to prove a murderer’s guilt, it seems out of place. Without giving any spoilers, ultimately Lewis does not add much to the overall story. It seems like this would be an intriguing separate story for the author to explore.

Overall, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I found more than ten typos, excluding spacing issues, and believe this book has not be professionally edited, which is the reason for taking one star away. I took away another star due to all the reasons I’ve listed. However, I find the overall story truly interesting and would like to see what the author can do with this in the future.

There are a few moments of inappropriate sexual thoughts or actions, so I recommend this book for mature audiences. With that warning, this would be a good choice for any mature reader looking for a unique science fiction story. Overall, we should heed Kane's warning and all be a bit more hesitant in our desire for more advanced technology. Are we really ready for all the consequences of the development of Artificial Intelligence? We’ll find out soon enough.

Think Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Kavita Shah »

The cover is pretty. The title at first glance looks good then after reading your review it gets a little depth to it.
Technology is advanced but humans won't advance in terms of emotions and feelings. Greed, jealousy, power they control us.
Thank you for a great and detailed review!
Gargoylegarden
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gargoylegarden.html
Latest Review: The Society of Living Poets by Andrew McCollister

Post by Gargoylegarden »

Thank you for your review. It's an intriguing topic but sounds a little frustrating. President Ronald Strump. Really? Not trying to imply Trump at all! LOL.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Kavita Shah wrote: ↑03 Jul 2021, 15:49 The cover is pretty. The title at first glance looks good then after reading your review it gets a little depth to it.
Technology is advanced but humans won't advance in terms of emotions and feelings. Greed, jealousy, power they control us.
Thank you for a great and detailed review!
You’re very right that we’re contrôles by those emotions, the characters are pulled apart because of this and events ultimately decline rapidly. Thanks for the great comment!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

Gargoylegarden wrote: ↑05 Jul 2021, 10:32 Thank you for your review. It's an intriguing topic but sounds a little frustrating. President Ronald Strump. Really? Not trying to imply Trump at all! LOL.
Exactly, I understand some people’s frustration with him, but I feel like the book would’ve been more effective of a warning tool if the author created a realistic typical power hungry politician (not that hard to imagine) rather than exaggerating some characteristics of a past one. That part just fell flat for me. Thanks for stopping by
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Let's Have a Get Me Thru Conversation by Venita Clisby King

Post by Emily_Jen »

I'd love to read through the paranoia that arose among the team that led to the betrayal among friends. Also, it's nice to see what technology they worked on as well as how it works. Thanks for the review.
C Janet
2021 Reading Goal: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-janet.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C Janet »

Wow, I haven't ever imagined that technology could advance so much that artificial intelligence takes over humanity. The idea behind this story is intriguing but I'll have to pass it up for now. Thank you for your great review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: No Matter The Price by Daniel Pare

Post by Kennedy NC »

An interesting review about a book on AI. Great review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I find it intriguing that the fatal singularity arises from such a noble ambition in this tale, so it's a shame that the actual storytelling fell flat. I hope the author gets to sit down with a good editor to flesh things out and fix the errors. Thanks for your review!
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Dinner at 10:32 by Mahyar A. Amouzegar
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I've often thought about what would happen if AIs took over the world, and every time I do, I shudder. Thank you for the thorough review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Central Swirlio
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Rogue World by David Gorglione

Post by NetMassimo »

Stories about the misuse and abuse of technologies developed for great reasons can be interesting but this one seems in need for more significant editing. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Hotwalker by Rick Neumayer

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think Asimov would be disappointed by this book, according to your review. The idea is interesting, but the implementation might be improved. Thank you for your sincere review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein by Donald Ray Schwartz

Post by markodim721 »

I often wonder just that: have we, as a human race, placed too much trust in artificial intelligence. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Wesusa
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Wesusa »

Good Review! I hope the author can take notes from this review and improve the book.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

Emily_Jen wrote: ↑06 Jul 2021, 12:32 I'd love to read through the paranoia that arose among the team that led to the betrayal among friends. Also, it's nice to see what technology they worked on as well as how it works. Thanks for the review.
Reading the paranoia parts definitely made me want to shake some of them and tell them not to do what they’re doing. Definitely an interesting insight.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”