Review of Fourth Sister

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Fourth Sister

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fourth Sister" by M. L. Farb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Myrtle and many others gather to hear a tale told by a bard wearing a white fox mask at the beginning of Fourth Sister: Hearth and Bard Tales, written by M.L. Farb. It takes place in Nihon, a land full of powerful spirits (kami). The story pulls elements from Japanese age-old beliefs, traditions, and culture, creating a spellbinding tale.

Shisei, the protagonist, is the fourth of seven sisters; we follow her journey from desperation, fear, and death to spiritual awakening, courage, and life. Shisei feels guilty because her twin brother died at birth. She prays to a deity (Inari) to give her another brother, but her mother dies during childbirth. The protagonist and her sisters believe that Shisei carries a curse against unborn sons. Grieving and feeling she is cursed, she decides to wander from village to village to find an apprenticeship. She does this disguised as a boy, assuming her deceased twin’s name – Sheng. Takumi, a mask maker, receives Shisei as an apprentice, and the journey begins.

I very much enjoyed reading this book, and it had numerous positive aspects. What I liked the most was its deeply touching symbolism. For instance, Shisei’s name is full of meaning; her mother told her it meant sacred poetry, a bridge between the seen and unseen. Also, “shi” is a word that means both fourth and death.

Additionally, the plot itself is full of parables and metaphors. Initially, the protagonist thinks a white fox full of tricks is making her life miserable and persecuting her. She feels she has a demon following her and causing harm. Shisei is markedly afraid of tricksters, but in a paradoxical move, she decides to hide her identity to seek knowledge. Above all, the author skillfully explores the metaphor of mask making; Shisei has the skill of illusion, which she strives to understand and master throughout the story, just as she struggles to learn how to make masks in her apprenticeship.

I also enjoyed the Japanese elements in the story. There are tatamis, kimonos, sacred poetry (haikus), tea ceremonies, Japanese theater, music, and dance. Readers learn about the spirits, gods, and deities of Japan’s Shinto religion. They make for a mystical background, which I appreciated. The book is poetic and artistic; the sisters’ different talents and skills combine to create a united front to defeat the fears and threats they face.

In closing, I’m glad to rate this lovely book 4 out of 4 stars. It seemed professionally edited; I found no editing mistakes in it. I see no negative aspects either. It is an exquisite tale of hope and redemption, and I recommend it to those who enjoy fantasy and symbolism. Also, if you appreciate Japanese culture, you should take a look at it.

Fourth Sister
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The cursed sister and her journey from fear to courage sounds really good. I would like to read this story to know a bit more about Japanese culture. Thank you for a great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I like Japanese culture. I hope this book will get into it a little. I will read it for sure!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like a thrilling tale. I would love to read about Shisei's journey. Cross-dressing seems to be popular in Asian films now; it seems that this extends to Asian fiction too. The mystical Japanese background seems like a great backdrop for this story. Excellent review - it makes me want to read this book!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I've always been drawn to the Japanese culture. History, folktales and art alike. Liked the theme and would give it a try. Thanks for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Scofield K
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Scofield K »

I have alway read Japanese culture i want to get the part that gives more attention to the book instead of only telling as the curse let them tell us were the curse came from but the book is very nice
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I know enough of Japanese culture to fully appreciate the symbolism but this novel seems fascinating in all its references. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This sounds like my kind of book! The symbolism in Japanese culture and the understanding of where the fourth sister is coming from is an addition to the novel that makes it more fulfilled. Thanks for the awesome review.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

This sounds like an interesting insight into Japanese culture. I might have to look into it one of these days. Thank you for the terrific review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

That sounds fascinating, sort of a fable, I would love to read something with more insight into the Japanese culture. Would you say it is suitable for a younger public as well? Since you didn't mention anything contradictory, I suppose so.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”