Review of Escapement

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of Escapement

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escapement" by Tim Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dalton Mallet, the lucky winner of a contest sponsored by Riker Industries, receives an all-expense-paid trip to Las Vegas, including a stay in a penthouse suite. However, that's not all he has won. He knows few details, only that they call it the Escapement. Once he gets to Las Vegas, he will learn more and have the chance to accept the grand prize — or not. The Escapement could change his life. But, what is it? Once he finds out, will he move forward?

Escapement by Timothy Powell is a science fiction novel of around 215 pages. With a fair bit of language, it's suitable for teenagers and adults. Fair warning, though, it has a cliffhanger ending.

The novel is told from the third-person perspective. The author switches between characters in order to fully tell this engaging story. The changes were usually at chapter breaks and were never confusing.

The characters each had their own challenges and quirks. Dalton is a small-town boy whose life has been turned upside-down by a woman. Carl, who is assigned by Riker Industries to care for Dalton in Las Vegas, has his own female issues, as his wife left him, disappearing without a trace months back. The most interesting, in my opinion, is Katie. She is investigating Riker Industries after the disappearance of her brother. (Do you see a theme that might be emerging? I dare not say more or else I might ruin the story.) She seemed determined to get answers, yet she truly cared. Smart, quirky, and fun, I can't wait to see what she does in the next chapter of this saga.

The author hooks you from the beginning. After the first chapter, I wanted to know what The Escapement was, but we learn only as Dalton does. What I enjoyed the most, however, was piecing the clues together. Mr. Powell drops hints throughout. It was fun to read to the end to see if I had interpreted these hints correctly. For the most part, I had. That didn't, however, spoil the book; there was still plenty that I didn't see coming.

The only truly frustrating part of the book was the ending. We were just getting to where I thought there would be a happily ever after when the author went in a completely different direction. The novel then abruptly ends. The book is short enough that I believe Mr. Powell could have continued the novel without stopping the story early.

As for editing, I did find several errors, mostly consisting of forgetting to make a name possessive. Still, they were few enough that I believe the book was professionally edited. If the reader wasn't actively searching for errors, they would be easy enough to overlook.

Due to the compelling plot, I must rate Escapement 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a good science fiction adventure. If, though, profanity or cliffhanger endings irritate you, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. For my part, I am extremely curious where the author will take this story next.

Escapement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

My head is buzzing with ideas of what might be going on in The Escapement! I hope Katie will successfully uncover what the Riker Industries are hiding because from where I'm sitting, they seem hella dodgy. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

This book seems extremely interesting according to your review! Would definitely want to know what escapement is! Thank you for your amazing review of this book.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Am eager to know what escapement means and am torn between understanding if it's a good thing or if it was just some kind of a lie. The overview of the book is promising and am anxious to read the entire book.
Pavan Kalyan 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pavan Kalyan 2 »

It is good book to read for the enthusiastic people. one thing to keep mind to interact with the situation to understand..it is a one a good story
Jeanabel Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanabel-ramos.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Jeanabel Ramos »

I would like to give this book a shot after I read your review. Science fiction novels give fictional books pieces of reality and possibilities of the universe.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

As I sampled the book, I like how engaging it is.
I did not find errors because I was focused on reading what would happen next.
Thank you for your review. It's full of mystery.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

What a whirlwind of a thriller this book seems to be. Thank you for an intriguing review :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nqobile771 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 01:27 My head is buzzing with ideas of what might be going on in The Escapement! I hope Katie will successfully uncover what the Riker Industries are hiding because from where I'm sitting, they seem hella dodgy. Awesome review!
Hmmm. It does make you wonder what Riker Industries is up to. It's an intriguing idea. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kanchan Bhil wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 01:47 This book seems extremely interesting according to your review! Would definitely want to know what escapement is! Thank you for your amazing review of this book.
It makes you wonder right from the beginning what Dalton is getting into. It's an interesting ride. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shillah A wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 02:25 Am eager to know what escapement means and am torn between understanding if it's a good thing or if it was just some kind of a lie. The overview of the book is promising and am anxious to read the entire book.
Well, the escapement is an actual thing. I can't tell you what it is, but they weren't making it up. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Pavan Kalyan 2 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 02:41 It is good book to read for the enthusiastic people. one thing to keep mind to interact with the situation to understand..it is a one a good story
Yes, it's interesting and worth reading. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jeanabel Ramos wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 03:18 I would like to give this book a shot after I read your review. Science fiction novels give fictional books pieces of reality and possibilities of the universe.
I suppose that what's written here is a possibility. I don't think it's a reality yet, though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 05:41 As I sampled the book, I like how engaging it is.
I did not find errors because I was focused on reading what would happen next.
Thank you for your review. It's full of mystery.
There weren't a lot of errors, and they are easy to overlook. It's a good book. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Reader-247 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 07:36 What a whirlwind of a thriller this book seems to be. Thank you for an intriguing review :)
It's a fast-paced book. Very interesting and compelling. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”