Review of Change

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Review of Change

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Change" by N G Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change by N G Nelson is the first novel of a science fiction saga. The murder of the Heir Royal Ral Dannan triggers a series of events that include intrigue around and even within the Imperial Court. Major Patricea Markis gets involved to assist Marshal Varian in the protection of Prince Kal Jerran and Princess Vel Nadia. The Emperor knows that his other grandson, Prince Ral Karjeck, intends to proclaim himself Emperor. Understanding who is loyal to the Emperor, who is old and sick, and who is loyal to his grandson Ral Karjeck is difficult.

On Earth, Paul and Bernadette are shocked when a bang in the sky is followed by a group of armed people who kidnap them and other locals to bring them to planet Es-ra to use them as forced labor. Ruthless guards beat and even kill their prisoners whenever they want.

This saga is set in a universe full of civilizations of humanoid species in various stages of advancement. Such a common presence of humanoids is a mystery to them. The Earth is a backward planet, as there are interstellar civilizations such as the Imperium, ruled by the Sarajevias Dynasty, where most of the novel is set. Its inhabitants are a species different from humans but, in this fictional universe, humanoids share similarities in their emotions and feelings as much as in their physical appearance. That makes it easy to understand the characters' motives and reactions to the events, which are all important elements in their development.

An interstellar empire facing a crisis is a theme used that has been used in science fiction for decades. N G Nelson found a new angle to use that theme creating a complex cosmic landscape in which advanced technologies are used for intrigue and deception. Since the beginning of the novel, it's clear that there are various layers of secrets around the Sarajevias Dynasty and only the first ones are accessed in this novel. The mix of elements is skillfully used to create several twists that can change the readers' impression of one or more characters. This was the element I appreciated the most in this novel.

The only part of the novel I found not completely satisfying was the subplot that started on Earth with Paul and Bernadette as its protagonists. There's great tension because, after they're captured and used as forced labor, they're always in danger. Some bits are disturbing for the guards' brutality. My problem is that this subplot seems to go nowhere until the end of the novel.

My complaint pales in comparison to the merits of a novel full of wonders and revelations that keep the readers' attention until the end. Note that the end is actually made of more twists that will be developed in the sequels, as this is only the first book of a saga that tells a bigger story. Some bits are quite graphic, so they make the novel unsuitable for readers who are young or triggered by brutality. In comparison, some mild sex acts and the common use of profanity are secondary.

Change was exceptionally well edited, as I found just one error. This is a very promising start of a saga, so I'm happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you want to read a science fiction saga full of surprises and don't mind some brutality, I recommend this one.

Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Sounds like the emperor has his work cut out for him with the betrayal looming in his own family. I also like that the author employed the 'interstellar empire in crisis' theme.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The sample is highly entertaining aaaaand.. full of profanities. :lol2:
But it's a fun read! The settings and characters are very interesting.
This book will keep me awake overnight.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Fireside119 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 03:36 Sounds like the emperor has his work cut out for him with the betrayal looming in his own family. I also like that the author employed the 'interstellar empire in crisis' theme.
The Emperor and the people faithful to him have their hands full, and this is only the beginning. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 05:55 The sample is highly entertaining aaaaand.. full of profanities. :lol2:
But it's a fun read! The settings and characters are very interesting.
This book will keep me awake overnight.
Thank you for your review.
It looks like the use of profanity is common all around the galaxy. :D Have fun, and thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for an interesting review, I enjoyed it. Science fiction isn't really my type of book, but this one seems intruiging, I'll add it to my shelf and venture it.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 08:59 Thanks for an interesting review, I enjoyed it. Science fiction isn't really my type of book, but this one seems intruiging, I'll add it to my shelf and venture it.
I hope you enjoy this novel. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Finding a new angle in the complicated world of science fiction books seems like a great feat. Thank you for your intriguing review and your interesting recommendation!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:11 Finding a new angle in the complicated world of science fiction books seems like a great feat. Thank you for your intriguing review and your interesting recommendation!
You can still write something with an original element but you need imagination and a lot of work. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

But why kidnap people just to exploit and enslave them? I wonder what kind of people the inhabitants of Es-ra are? It looks like there is a lot going on in both planets to keep one entertained. Great job with the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Nqobile771 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 01:04 But why kidnap people just to exploit and enslave them? I wonder what kind of people the inhabitants of Es-ra are? It looks like there is a lot going on in both planets to keep one entertained. Great job with the review!
In this novel, we discover only the beginning of what happens on Es-Ra. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'm really not a fan of science fiction but your review of the book draws me to it. Well done.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

El_limitless wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:25 I'm really not a fan of science fiction but your review of the book draws me to it. Well done.
You're still in time to embrace this genre. :wink: Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing. Great review, as usual!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Mtibza eM wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 11:00 Thank you for sharing. Great review, as usual!
My pleasure, and thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”