Review of Blood of the Raej

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Blood of the Raej

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood of the Raej" by Hayley Rae Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kingdom of Omneth was once ruled by the higher magics called the Raej. The slates (humans without magic) used magical tools called pebbles to topple the Raej. Now a new government rules Omneth, where humans possessing higher magic are executed. People skilled in lesser magic and pebble magic can enroll in the academy to train to become officials.

Blood of the Raej is told from the perspective of two characters: Terhese and Jensen. Terhese is an orphan who struggles with pebble magic. She aspires to study pebble making at the academy. Jensen is Terhese’s friend who works as an intern at the academy. An untoward event releases dormant power within Terhese, revealing she has higher magic in her. What will be her fate?

Blood of the Raej by Hayley Rae Johnson is a refreshing fantasy read with a fascinating world-building. Despite it being a completely different world, I found it easy to immerse myself in it. The vividly descriptive prose creates a distinct sense of place without overwhelming the reader. The plot was intriguing, and I did not find it to be predictable.

The author allows the story to develop with minimum exposition maintaining suspense in the book. The magical components and developments in this book were satisfying and entertaining. The concept of pebble pinching magic was really interesting. Pebbles can be pinched to do mundane tasks like washing dishes or for other purposes like fighting. It made the book engrossing, and the chapters passed quickly.

I admired how Terhese believed in herself and worked hard for the academy, despite people looking down on her. She is naïve and trusts too quickly. However, I grew attached to the character and was curious as to what would happen to her. It is not a standalone book, and the character arc is not complete. Hence, it would not be fair to comment on the character development in the book.

Terhese's feelings for her romantic interest, her dynamic with her best friend, and the growing power within her propel the pages toward a cliff-hanger ending that will have readers eagerly anticipating the following book.

On the downside, there is no concept of race or ethnicity in this world. It made what had been a lively reading experience feel a little shallow. I wish there were more information about how the world was under the Raej's reign. If we had the option, I would give it a rating of 3.5 stars. But the book was good enough, and I had a wonderful time reading it. Therefore, I rate Blood of the Raej 4 out of 4 stars.

I found seven grammatical errors that did not hinder my reading experience. There is the use of non-borderline profanities in the book. It also includes a couple of passionate kisses and a make-out scene that is not overly graphic. Drinking is also mentioned in some places.

I would recommend Blood of Raej to teenage girls who love reading books of the fantasy genre.

Blood of the Raej
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm not a teenager anymore, but I enjoy reading some fantasy.
I hope the cliffhanger is manageable.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 21:24 I'm not a teenager anymore, but I enjoy reading some fantasy.
Thanks for your review.
You're welcome @Dzejn_Crvena !
Ayodeji Ola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayodeji-ola.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ayodeji Ola »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 21:24 I'm not a teenager anymore, but I enjoy reading some fantasy.
Thanks for your review.
Who said anything about fantasy being for teens? :lol2:

Just teasing...
The review does a good job of selling the book. Well done!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Ayodeji Ola wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 02:19
Thanks for your review.
Who said anything about fantasy being for teens? :lol2:

Just teasing...
The review does a good job of selling the book. Well done!
I just mentioned that part as a reply to the reviewer's recommendation that this is "to teenage girls who love reading books of the fantasy genre".
Maybe because girls usually like romance?

P.S. Actually, I'm fond of reading children's books. 😉
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This sounds like an interesting take on magic. It is usually the beings that have all the magical power that are the bad guys but it seems to be the other way around in this case. Thank you for your wonderful review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Dartemis wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 22:49 This sounds like an interesting take on magic. It is usually the beings that have all the magical power that are the bad guys but it seems to be the other way around in this case. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Thank you @Dartemis ! 🙂
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be old for this novel but it seems like an engaging fantasy work that can be enjoyed by older readers as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

NetMassimo wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 01:33 I might be old for this novel but it seems like an engaging fantasy work that can be enjoyed by older readers as well. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by @NetMassimo!😊
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am not a teenager, but your interesting review made me eager to read it! Thank you for your recommendation!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 13:23 I am not a teenager, but your interesting review made me eager to read it! Thank you for your recommendation!
You're welcome @Raluca_Mihaila :tiphat: .
Giwa Olamilekan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giwa Olamilekan »

Wow.. Your review is really insightful. I'm very sure I'm gonna enjoy reading this book
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

:techie-reference:
Giwa Olamilekan wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 17:15 Wow.. Your review is really insightful. I'm very sure I'm gonna enjoy reading this book
I'm glad. Thank you @Giwa Olamilekan !

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”