Review of The Devil Pulls the Strings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Devil Pulls the Strings

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil Pulls the Strings" by J. W. Zarek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boone Daniels is an adventurous character in The Devil Pulls the Strings. His adventures are neither willful nor self-instigated, but he is bound to take them. The arrow that stirs these adventures is traced to the joust at St. Louis Renaissance Festival, where he stabs his friend and opponent, Flynn. Although Old Man Wrigley has foreseen that there will be violence, bloodshed, and death, Boone's mind is made up to take risks. As fate leads him, his trip to New York City brings him into proximity with Rizos, Baba Yaga, Pip, and Sapphire. Although they meet by coincidence, his intimacy with Sapphire becomes increasingly stronger by the day. But there are many secrets for him to know. There are many things beyond his physical strength and understanding. Yet, he has to defeat them or watch the city destroyed.

It is one thing to go on an adventure, but another when the adventure is unknown. This is what Zarek presents here. While some known heroic adventures are carried out in the underworld or a wonder world, Boone's adventure poses a deviation. This is one of the things that beautify this story. Zarek intertwines the journeys of Boone to inquire and discover mysteries with his adventures into the world's past. Thus, creating an aesthetic plot.

The aesthetic plot also heightens the suspense in the novel. As one is bent on knowing what is happening, more profound revelations such as the Unholy Ancient Order of Dragons and Nymphs Society and the New York Lavender and Roses Society are made. As such, the quest for knowledge never ends. The reader continues to press for more revelations. This strengthens the plot of the text in hooking its readers.

One other lovely thing to say about this novel is the significance of each scene and event. There is no dangling scene. Every scene or event in the story contributes to the excellent plot execution. This element creates a sense of relevance; hence, enhancing the reader's pleasure.

On the flip side, one aspect I think Zarek should work on is effects description. The repeated use of phrases like 'my skin tingles' becomes way too recurring that its effect is no longer felt. More and better adjectives can help in this. Also, the combination of present and past tenses, as seen on page 77 and other places, should be avoided.

However, the above issues do not take away from the excellent delivery of The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. There were a few grammatical and structural errors, but not enough to dent the book. The novel does not discriminate against age, sex, or religion. Hence, I recommend it to anyone who can withstand mystical events and characters.

The Devil Pulls the Strings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The title is very catchy, and the book sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love to read books with interesting plots. Again, your review draws me into this book. I'll check it out. Great review.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

The suspense and mystery is very intriguing and the book sounds like a worthwhile read along with its well developed plot. Great review.
Matilda sikopo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Matilda sikopo »

The title is soo attractive for some of us who are interested in reading about demons I like it. Thanks for the review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that's really engaging thanks to a storyline rich of events and revelations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Edwin Makilo
Currently Reading: All language
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Edwin Makilo »

The title of the book, makes me want to see what is inside.
Mutchi
Favorite Author: Onyx Gold
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 189196

Post by Mutchi »

The story seems to be nice indeed its better you are on a journey to find out what you dont know than going on a mission you already know....thank you the book is lovely
Jeremypakan
Currently Reading: Growth
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jeremypakan »

Mysticism is one of the interesting things to read, and I will do it
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

The title of the book is really captivating and makes me want to read it. I love mystical and supernatural stories combined with lots and lots of adventures. Thanks for the great review.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

I like the way you summarized the book. It's brief and captures everything and has no spoilers. Love to read more reviews from you friend.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”