Official Review: The Dark Lord's Assistant by J. J. Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: The Dark Lord's Assistant by J. J. Parker

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dark Lord's Assistant" by J. J. Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wenlic was the only applicant for a personal assistant to the Dark Lord, Golgoth, the World Strangler. Golgoth wasn't sure she was suitable for the job, so he hired her on a trial basis. The Dark Lord's Guild had subtly warned Golgoth he wasn't doing his job well. He preferred staying home and cooking broth to going out at night and terrorizing the world, but he had to go. Wenlic immediately began hiring staff for the castle. As the team grew, Wenlic's efficiency impressed Golgoth. She had hired various workers, such as gnomes, trolls, a witch with three faces, and more. One night Golgoth happened upon the king's daughter bathing in a pool, and he was smitten. Soon the princess moved into Drylic Castle with him, but before long, tragedy struck. The king set out for Drylic Castle to find the princess. Someone in the castle was attempting to get rid of Golgoth and had betrayed him to the king. But who? Would he survive a father's wrath? What of Wenlic? Will she remain loyal to the dark lord, or will she desert him in his desperate hour of need?

In the fantasy novel The Dark Lord's Assistant: Even a Villian Needs a Little Help J. J. Parker brings to life a gang of misfit fantasy characters in a hilarious tale of woe. As the story moves along, the characters continue to evolve, and the reader will question who is who and wonder how everything will come together. However, in between guessing, the reader will find themself chuckling and laughing out loud at the twists, turns, and mayhem in this book.

My favorite part was how the author wrote Golgoth's inner thoughts into the dialog while he was conversing with someone. The things he said outwardly were entirely different from what he was thinking. Also, just when you think you have figured a character out, everything changes and you discover they are not who you thought they were—literally.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the frequent use of profanity—everything else I found hilarious. There were also several violent scenes with graphic descriptions, which may disturb a younger reader. However, this book has many of the elements I usually avoid, so I was determined to keep an open mind as I read. Fantasy is not my favorite genre, but amazingly, I loved this book!

The book seemed professionally edited. I found only a few simple errors which did not detract from my reading enjoyment. For the humorous tone of this book, the complexity of the characters, and the creative writing skills of the author, I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend The Dark Lord's Assistant by J. J. Parker to all older teens and adult fantasy lovers, especially those who love a good laugh. Parents of younger teens should use caution because of the profanity and the violent scenes.

The Dark Lord's Assistant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The book sounds amazing. I'll add it to my reading list. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Tulika Padmane
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Tulika Padmane »

I m fantasy enthusiast. The review makes the novel sound very interesting. This book is surely going on my bookshelf. Great review.
tamanna rohman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tamanna rohman »

It is such nice book and very creative..this is the perfect book that I needed in this pandemic situation....
Tonikun2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonikun2020.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Tonikun2020 »

Thanks for an insightful review and recommendation. I love it when a book has some humor in it.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

The review is well written towards the major characters of the book and adds in hints of intrigue to draw a reader towards the possible turns of events within the story. Serves as an appetizer to the adventures in the story. All in all a handsomely written review. :tiphat:
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

This book seems to be a good read for fantasy fans..Thanks for such a good review!
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems very interesting. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Fantasy which keeps you engaged throughout. It is good that the characters turn out to beyond the tell tales, makes an impact on the readers
Thank you for a great review!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

sharon titus wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 23:56 The book sounds amazing. I'll add it to my reading list. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tulika Padmane wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 00:44 I m fantasy enthusiast. The review makes the novel sound very interesting. This book is surely going on my bookshelf. Great review.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

tamanna rohman wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 04:02 It is such nice book and very creative..this is the perfect book that I needed in this pandemic situation....
It is very creative. I also needed the distraction during this trying time we are all going through! Thanks for stopping by.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tonikun2020 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 04:50 Thanks for an insightful review and recommendation. I love it when a book has some humor in it.
Thank you! I love humor too, especially right now! Thanks for stopping by!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Eloque3locks wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 08:49 The review is well written towards the major characters of the book and adds in hints of intrigue to draw a reader towards the possible turns of events within the story. Serves as an appetizer to the adventures in the story. All in all a handsomely written review. :tiphat:
Thank you! I appreciate your comment!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

The frant1c reader wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:06 This book seems to be a good read for fantasy fans..Thanks for such a good review!
Thank you! Fantasy fans will enjoy it.
B. Creech

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”