Review by readingateight -- The Devil Pulls the Strings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
florenceitaly101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingateight.html
Latest Review: Apocalypse Reckoning 2.0 by William Acie Singleton

Review by readingateight -- The Devil Pulls the Strings

Post by florenceitaly101 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Pulls the Strings" by J. W. Zarek.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil Pulls The Strings by J.W. Zarek is a tale told through the POV of a man named Boone Daniels, a small-town musician from Missouri. After injuring his best friend, Flynn, Boone must now head to New York to fill in a gig for him and to meet a man named Professor Stone. The trip does not go as planned when he finds out Stone is dead, and the people who killed him are now after Boone. With the help of a woman named Sapphire, he manages to escape them, but the duo soon discovers that Stone's death was just the tip of the iceberg to something even bigger. It appears the two find themselves caught in the middle of a life-long feud between two societies, each one searching for three pieces of music of Niccolo Paganini, which can summon the devil. Boone must face off against ancient evils that include steampunk vampires, Baba Yaga and other beings as the fate of the world rests in his hands.

Zarek takes fantasy writing to a whole new level with this book. I love fantasy stories, and this is one of the most original ideas I've read in a long time. Zarek takes in all these fantasy elements, mixes them in with various folklore and mythology and the modern world, and blends it all to create something special. The story itself is an exciting thrill ride as the reader bounces from one world to the next. You are taken in by the characters and the battles they must face. I don't think there is a dull moment. The book hooks you right in and does not let up. I strongly believe this story has the potential to be a series.

Boone Daniels makes for a great main character. You can feel his pain and angst and the guilt he suffers. You can not help but root for him the whole way. Even the supporting characters are strong enough to hold their own, especially Sapphire. I thought she and Boone connected quite well.

I'm going to give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. As amazing as this book was, I felt that some readers might need to give it a re-read to truly understand the plot. I did just to make sure I was understanding it. Overall, there was not much I hated about this book. I think fantasy lovers will enjoy it. There is no sex but there is some violence that might turn you off. I did not find too many mistakes and the dialogue is clear and easy to follow. If you are into epic battles with steampunk vampires, taxi cabs going through portals, or even rock n roll, this book may just be for you.

The Devil Pulls the Strings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”