Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unborn" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third installment of The Unborn Series, Siege Forces, written by Tayma Tameem, takes place in a post-apocalyptic scenario. There’s hardly any water left in the world, an all-powerful, greedy, and oppressive conglomerate holds the rights to the scarce water resources. It enslaves individuals and uses a scientific initiative to seize all unborn children from pregnant women and form super-soldiers. There are many threats, including heavily-armed militias and bounty hunters.

The book’s protagonist, Jake Hurst, is part of the Navigator clan and has to deal with the aftermath of a coup that left Compound 17 in chaos, without leadership, and up for grabs. The power structure was fluid, with everyone turning on everyone else. Desperate and ready to face death, Jake, formerly a director of Compound 17 who fled with a militia, gets caught but then escapes and wanders in the desert looking for a way to save his wife Summer, their children, and the clan.

There are several positives to this imaginative novel. What I liked the most was its rich myriad of characters. Jake is a likable protagonist that makes us root for him the whole time. He is an idealist who dreams of uniting the clans and forming a functional society and is ready to confront mighty adversarial forces, which include Colonel Horrocks, from Command Battalion of Compound 1, the militia’s hybrid super-soldiers, and Nash, the unpredictable and treacherous bounty hunter. Nash, for instance, is a markedly fluid character that enriches the plot with his deceptive nature, and I felt that Tameem developed him very well.

The writing style and the plot are also engaging, with several threads that work together nicely. I particularly enjoyed Jake’s reunion with Summer. I thought it was touching that he acknowledged that he hadn’t made her and the kids a priority because he was obsessed with his work, but he vowed to change. Jake’s son Junior’s side story was also absorbing, especially his relationship with a woman named Donna, aka Doodle, whom he wants to marry.

Lastly, I gladly rate this entertaining book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no negative aspects worth mentioning. It seemed professionally edited, for I only found a minor mishap, a capitalization inconsistency, in it. Also, although the book is part of a series, it does stand well on its own. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy an adventurous and suspenseful plot with a touch of sci-fi and dystopian scenarios.

The Unborn
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Definitely an intriguing plot. Will definitely love to get my hands on this book. Great review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to find out how Jake fared in his quest to restore leadership and peace to compound 17. Interesting plot. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I feel like reading a post-apocalyptic novel but I read only great reviews of Tayma Tameem's works, so one day I think I'll read this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have lately become quite impressed by this author. She writes in a captivating manner and creates interesting characters. My only problem with this particular story is the post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Given the current situation in our world, it is a bit too much for me. Anyway, this book has an intriguing plot. Thanks for your lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Whoa!! Thank you for your review. This is definitely book of my type!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I've read incredible books of Tayma Taneem and they never fail to impress. I'll definitely have a go at reading this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”