Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Everything Under the Sun by Spencer H. Steeves

Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unborn" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third installment of The Unborn Series, Siege Forces, written by Tayma Tameem, takes place in a post-apocalyptic scenario. There’s hardly any water left in the world, an all-powerful, greedy, and oppressive conglomerate holds the rights to the scarce water resources. It enslaves individuals and uses a scientific initiative to seize all unborn children from pregnant women and form super-soldiers. There are many threats, including heavily-armed militias and bounty hunters.

The book’s protagonist, Jake Hurst, is part of the Navigator clan and has to deal with the aftermath of a coup that left Compound 17 in chaos, without leadership, and up for grabs. The power structure was fluid, with everyone turning on everyone else. Desperate and ready to face death, Jake, formerly a director of Compound 17 who fled with a militia, gets caught but then escapes and wanders in the desert looking for a way to save his wife Summer, their children, and the clan.

There are several positives to this imaginative novel. What I liked the most was its rich myriad of characters. Jake is a likable protagonist that makes us root for him the whole time. He is an idealist who dreams of uniting the clans and forming a functional society and is ready to confront mighty adversarial forces, which include Colonel Horrocks, from Command Battalion of Compound 1, the militia’s hybrid super-soldiers, and Nash, the unpredictable and treacherous bounty hunter. Nash, for instance, is a markedly fluid character that enriches the plot with his deceptive nature, and I felt that Tameem developed him very well.

The writing style and the plot are also engaging, with several threads that work together nicely. I particularly enjoyed Jake’s reunion with Summer. I thought it was touching that he acknowledged that he hadn’t made her and the kids a priority because he was obsessed with his work, but he vowed to change. Jake’s son Junior’s side story was also absorbing, especially his relationship with a woman named Donna, aka Doodle, whom he wants to marry.

Lastly, I gladly rate this entertaining book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no negative aspects worth mentioning. It seemed professionally edited, for I only found a minor mishap, a capitalization inconsistency, in it. Also, although the book is part of a series, it does stand well on its own. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy an adventurous and suspenseful plot with a touch of sci-fi and dystopian scenarios.

The Unborn
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Hemingway's Daughter by Christine M. Whitehead

Post by Kennedy NC »

Definitely an intriguing plot. Will definitely love to get my hands on this book. Great review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to find out how Jake fared in his quest to restore leadership and peace to compound 17. Interesting plot. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Change
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I feel like reading a post-apocalyptic novel but I read only great reviews of Tayma Tameem's works, so one day I think I'll read this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Pie Yi Yi
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: From Quiet Homes by Michael Kelly

Post by Kirsi_78 »

I have lately become quite impressed by this author. She writes in a captivating manner and creates interesting characters. My only problem with this particular story is the post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Given the current situation in our world, it is a bit too much for me. Anyway, this book has an intriguing plot. Thanks for your lovely review!
Durgeshwari Dolas
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Whoa!! Thank you for your review. This is definitely book of my type!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”