Official Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VernaVi
Currently Reading: Scandal, Heartbreak, and Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vernavi.html
Latest Review: Musings: The Healing of Trauma and Resilience of the Human Spirit by Sharon Danner Reding

Official Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by VernaVi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nimue" by Ayn Cates Sullivan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan is a treat in fantasy fiction. The third in the Legends of the Grail series, this novel stands on its own. I never had the feeling that I had missed previous volumes when reading it. This award-winning author tells a magical and spellbinding tale of intrigue and love that transcends the physical world and steps into the magic of the spiritual realm.

A few years after losing her father, seventeen-year-old Nina and her mother travel to England. It is sure to be different than life in America, but the change will be good for them. As Nina explores and finds out more about England's past, she discovers more about her family. A strange visit to a healer mystifies her, but she knows she hasn't imagined things when she finds out that her friend Owen is missing. Will her connection to the past help her understand more? Will Merlin be freed? You'll have to read the book to find out!

I love how this book delves into the depths of Celtic and Arthurian legends while entertaining the reader with a storyline that intertwines itself with magical destinations and historical places. The plot of this book reveals a writer who has spent considerable time with research and study. One of the most positive points about this book is how well-developed the characters are. They act out a drama that ties timelines and generations together in a twisting tale involving legendary characters such as Merlin and his sister Morgan Le Fey.

The story is told in the first person from Nina's perspective. A third of the way through the book, the perspective changes from Nina to that of another. I found the transition to be jarring, and it caused the book to go from immersive to feeling disjointed for a time as I acquainted myself with a different main character's viewpoint. This aspect was the only negative about the book.

As a descendant from this heritage, I have always been fascinated by Celtic legends and lore. I was raised on the tales borne of folklore and history. I always loved stories based on and around the ancient and mysterious. The more ancient and mysterious, the better I considered the story. That is what attracted me to this book, and I was not disappointed.

This book is edited exceptionally well. I found no errors. Romance is an essential part of the story with mildly explicit scenes, and I would rate them at three on a scale between one and ten. Therefore, I believe this book to be suited to a mature audience. The book is free of profanity. I enjoyed reading this story and look forward to more from this author. For these reasons, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. The changing point of view was not enough to cause a reduction in rating.

The world of ancient religions, cults, gods, and goddesses is very much a part of this story. This book may be better for open-minded readers with the ability to see past some of the book's references to the Christian religion as a cult and other references to religion that some readers may find displeasing. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who love an entertaining story that takes you back into the mists of Avalon, where time and history weave together with the present.

Nimue
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Change
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Post by NetMassimo »

My first impression was that this is a young adult series but a certain level of eroticism and some complex themes such as the religious references suggest otherwise. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”