Official Review: Damon Ich by Aaron d Key

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Official Review: Damon Ich by Aaron d Key

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Damon Ich" by Aaron d Key.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Damon Ich is the second book in a series, The Wheel of Eight, written by Aaron D. Key. The book can be read as a standalone; however, there are a few characters from Herai present. If you have read the previous book, characters such as Herai, Monta, and Koa may seem familiar. You will fully understand the second book without reading the first. According to Amazon, the book is considered to be contemporary fiction. I noticed it contains very few elements of fantasy and sci-fi, especially the power and time travel elements. The focus of the book is on the characters rather than the elements.

This book begins with an unnamed gardener. His name is irrelevant, and he tells us that in the opening sentence. The gardener proceeds to tell us the story of an alternative reality. The book then ventures into Damon Ich’s life on Herron. The events around Damon start slow and steady. However, the main events revolve around Damon’s ancestor, a murder, another city being terrorized, and restoring the timeline before it's too late. Unfortunately, there is not much I can mention about the content of the book without spoiling it. Everything is related in some way.

Considering this is the author's second book, I am amazed. The way he writes is incredibly poetic, and I was in awe constantly. I told myself several times that this book should be an audiobook. Reading it was fantastic; however, I am sure listening to it would take my breath away. Other than that, the events of the book kept surprising me. Every time I thought I figured something out, I was wrong. Whatever you think happens, does not happen. What you think doesn’t happen, does happen. I was constantly questioning the characters and thinking about what they were doing. That goes to say this book is not a casual read. A reader should take their time with this masterpiece. The characters were also pretty interesting. As I mentioned above, there is a huge focus on character development.

I won't deny I was confused in the beginning. It takes a bit of time to get used to the world and the time travel aspect. I felt that things started to make sense by the mid-point. I was also surprised to see a sudden transition to a different point of view. I initially thought I had a chapter missing, but it made sense once I finished the book. Fortunately, that is only a minor and personal issue. The book itself had no faults.

I very much enjoyed the book due to the content and the author's writing style. Damon Ich deserves to have 4 out of 4 stars. The book seems to be professionally edited, and it is beautifully written. I only noticed two minor issues in the entire book.

I recommend Damon Ich to those who enjoy books containing elements of time travel. However, I believe readers new to the genre would be unable to fully grasp the idea. Readers should be patient because everything will make sense in the end. It is important to note the book contains mild homosexual relationships. Romance is not a focus of the book at all. It is there for character development. It is also important to mention there is only minor profanity present in the book. This aligns with the poetic language used by the author, and it makes the read a lot more enjoyable.

Damon Ich
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Time travel can be a difficult subject to read about. It can give one a headache for sure. It's always interesting to me, though. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Seems like interesting book, totally something of my taste. Thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

This books sounds great and a standalone is always appreciated. I think patient readers would love it. Thank you for a detailed review!
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

The review is amazingly written. It makes th book seems magical of sorts.
What we think happens, doesn't happen and what we think doesn't happen, happens! - I honestly don't know what to expect, except that I'll enjoy the book.
And even more if the audiobook came out!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a very well-written, artistic, and engrossing story! I like the fact that the characters were created with such in-depth personalities and backstories. I also like your suggestion to have an audiobook version made.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 May 2021, 08:28 Time travel can be a difficult subject to read about. It can give one a headache for sure. It's always interesting to me, though. Thanks for a good review.
I agree. It is interesting but can be quite confusing!
Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 26 May 2021, 12:00 Seems like interesting book, totally something of my taste. Thank you for your review!
Thank you! It really is interesting.
Kavita Shah wrote: 26 May 2021, 22:54 This books sounds great and a standalone is always appreciated. I think patient readers would love it. Thank you for a detailed review!
Oh yes, you have to be quite patient for everything to make sense.
Wildflowertheorist wrote: 27 May 2021, 00:02 The review is amazingly written. It makes th book seems magical of sorts.
What we think happens, doesn't happen and what we think doesn't happen, happens! - I honestly don't know what to expect, except that I'll enjoy the book.
And even more if the audiobook came out!
That is incredibly kind of you! I can picture this as an audiobook being read by a British man. It would be perfect!
Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2021, 02:37 This sounds like a very well-written, artistic, and engrossing story! I like the fact that the characters were created with such in-depth personalities and backstories. I also like your suggestion to have an audiobook version made.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
I always appreciate good character development. Thank you for the kind comment :D
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I guess I would enjoy this book too due to the poetic and praiseworthy writing style and exciting storyline. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

As a Doctor Who fan, I'm quite familiar with time travel, so a novel that uses it to create a great story is certainly interesting for me. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Glad to read that the author does a fantastic job with the plotline and the development of the characters. This, I believe, goes a long way in making a book enjoyable. Your enthusiasm for the book shines through. Thanks for a lovely review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Great review! Sounds like a great read and series too. I will have to give it a look.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Time travel is a very appealing theme for me, so I must give it a try! It is good to know that it all makes sense in the middle of the book, so I should be patient and endure the confusing beginning. Thank you for you great work!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This seems like a great book. Thank you for sharing with us
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the plot of the book is unpredictable. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like a great read. I especially loved reading your review. Great work.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”