Official Review: Stone of Gabriel by Gary A. Pattillo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: Stone of Gabriel by Gary A. Pattillo

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stone of Gabriel" by Gary A. Pattillo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stone of Gabriel: Angel Stones Book One by Gary A. Pattillo is a sci-fi fantasy thriller about a young boy and a police detective who meet by chance and form a bond for life. Kurt, Alan, and Torence, who have been friends since kindergarten, are on a camping trip with their fathers. While the boys are searching for stones for their slingshots, Kurt finds an unusual-looking stone. As they examine it, the boys discover Kurt is the only one who can hold it. Unfortunately, it cut Torence's hand and burned Alan's. So Kurt put the stone in his pocket and swore his friends to secrecy. Little did he know the stone would change his life forever.

Meanwhile, Detective Steve Bailey was busy investigating a murder case. Steve knew there were forces of evil surrounding this case, but he couldn't tell his partner what he knew. Then, a phone call came into the precinct from a young boy stating he saw the suspect on the news and describing bizarre images he had seen around the man. Bailey immediately has the call traced, and it is Kurt's cell phone. So detective Bailey sets out to find him. What is the link between Kurt and Detective Bailey? Is there a connection between the stone Kurt found and Steve's murder case?

Gary Pattillo has written a fantasy thriller with a focus on good versus evil. How do you destroy evil? The battle between good and evil is as old as time itself and has yet to produce a victor. Detective Bailey is a religious man, but the book does not promote or push Christianity at the reader. Kurt is a clean-cut, well-behaved boy. Their characters are well developed and likable. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Levi Mendez, owner of Mendez Microtech Corporation. His primary product is a newly developed microchip implanted into a person's right hand that enables them to conduct business simply by having the microchip scanned. He is offering the implant free of charge and is encouraging everyone to get it. Levi is pure evil.

I particularly love how the author has highlighted essential attributes such as faith, loyalty, friendship, and family values. However, these attributes are offset by deception, control, and pure evilness, making for a dynamic plot full of action and suspense as the story crescendos to an ultimate fantasy scene. The book ends on a bittersweet note. Since it is book one in a series, I look forward to the next episode.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. There were some unlikable characters, but without them, the plot would have fallen flat. I believe the book had professional editing as I found only a couple of errors that did not interfere with my reading. I enjoyed reading this book. The story flowed smoothly with a gradual heightening of suspense from chapter to chapter.

For the well-developed and likable characters, the unique storyline, and the fantasy ending, I am rating Stone of Gabriel by Gary A. Pattillo 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who likes sci-fi fantasy novels. Also, to teenagers, as there is no erotic content and only occasional profanity. The adult reader may not enjoy this book, as the target audience seems to be more young adults.

Stone of Gabriel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It sounds like the author did a great job attempting to realistically defeat evil, but I’m curious how the next book goes. Thanks for the great review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A really complex plot. The author should be congratulated on promoting universal values. Thanks for the good review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Oh! This book sounds like just the type of thing I am into! I like how the story seems to include themes that are hot-topic issues right now (the microchip and biblical prophecy). So, I am adding this book to my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thank you for a fabulous review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Booklover Becca wrote: 20 May 2021, 12:36 It sounds like the author did a great job attempting to realistically defeat evil, but I’m curious how the next book goes. Thanks for the great review
I am curious about the next book, too. I want to know which angel stone is next! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

markodim721 wrote: 20 May 2021, 12:43 A really complex plot. The author should be congratulated on promoting universal values. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 20 May 2021, 23:59 Oh! This book sounds like just the type of thing I am into! I like how the story seems to include themes that are hot-topic issues right now (the microchip and biblical prophecy). So, I am adding this book to my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thank you for a fabulous review!
:tiphat:
Thank you! And thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you enjoy the book when you have time to read it!
B. Creech
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I've never really been a big fan of science fiction, but the plot of this story captivates me. I'd love to check it out. Great review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old for this series but its seems well constructed, showing a diversity in the characters and in their behaviours. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

El_limitless wrote: 21 May 2021, 07:48 I've never really been a big fan of science fiction, but the plot of this story captivates me. I'd love to check it out. Great review.
I am not a huge fan of sci-fi myself, but I enjoyed this book. I hope you will too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 May 2021, 16:17 I might be too old for this series but its seems well constructed, showing a diversity in the characters and in their behaviours. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm an adult who loves to read YA books. :D
I particularly choose adventure books like this to recommend to reluctant readers.
Will boys enjoy reading it more than girls?
I appreciate the highlighted attributes for building characters.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 28 May 2021, 09:31 I'm an adult who loves to read YA books. :D
I particularly choose adventure books like this to recommend to reluctant readers.
Will boys enjoy reading it more than girls?
I appreciate the highlighted attributes for building characters.
Boys may enjoy it more than girls, but I enjoyed it quite a bit! There is one fantasy scene I felt was more relatable to younger people, but I think you would enjoy the book!
B. Creech
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. I'm curious to see how the odd stone can help Kurt and Detective Bailey solve a murder case.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This book is a fantasy thriller with a focus on good versus evil. The author has highlighted essential attributes such as faith, loyalty, friendship, and family values. The unique storyline, and the fantasy ending are the major attractions of the book.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”