Official Review: Fourhaven by Fred Witzgall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Official Review: Fourhaven by Fred Witzgall

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fourhaven" by Fred Witzgall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is a mess, and there’s no saving it. But the good news is that there’s a fourth-dimensional being looking to start a new one for us. He has the power and a plan; now all he needs is a prophet.

Sitting alone in a jail cell in Texas awaiting sentencing for a laundry list of petty and not-so-petty crimes, ex-preacher Jeremiah Freehorn is pretty sure his adventure is at an end. But when he is miraculously abducted, transported to a surreal paradise called Fourhaven, and enlisted by its god to serve as a prophet and ambassador, Jeremiah gets a chance to start over. He can finally have everything he ever wanted: power, fame, money, and even his high school sweetheart, the only woman he ever truly loved, by his side. All he has to do is use his evangelical training to recruit other humans to join his peaceful, utopian sanctuary. It’ll be easy!

At least, it would be easy if the supernatural being in charge was at all what he claimed to be. As Fourhaven’s population grows, factions emerge and the paradise’s pretense begins to crumble. To top it off, malicious creatures so nasty that not even Fourhaven’s god is able to handle them begin to ooze out of the woodwork. In the face of hostile forces beyond their wildest imaginings, it’s up to Jeremiah and his small band of human rebels to find a way to save themselves, save their species, and – if they’re very, very lucky – find a way back home.

Fourhaven, written by Fred Witzgall, is an adventure novel set in the present day that blurs the line between fantasy and science fiction. It centers on a group of unlikely heroes, including a con man, a restaurant manager, several police officers, a pop star, and a cat. Each of these characters is written beautifully and fleshed out to a satisfying but not overwhelming degree. One of the author’s greatest strengths, in my opinion, is the believability and dynamism of his characters; despite their many eccentricities, each feels grounded in truth, and most of them can be seen developing over the course of the story in ways that feel organic.

The book is paced well and has been thoroughly edited. The story contains references to elements of religion, history, and mathematics, but a reader does not need to be an expert on any of these subjects to fully appreciate the story, as all the relevant pieces are sufficiently explained. There is also violence and profanity, but not enough of either to bar older teenage readers from enjoying the content. Lastly, a few veiled references to sex are present; in my opinion, readers worldly enough to catch these references will also be mature enough to handle their meaning.

Fourhaven earns a score of 4 out of 4 for its thrilling storyline, vivid characters, and imaginative, unconventional fantasy world. Overall, I would recommend the book most strongly to young adult and adult readers who are fans of science fiction and are looking for a masterfully written adventure. I cannot think of a single aspect of this book that I did not enjoy, and I heartily look forward to reading more of Witzgall’s work in the future.

Fourhaven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. I'd love to find out if the preacher kept to the task he had on his hands. Interesting review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing blend of elements from different genres made strong by well-developed plot and characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

A fourth dimension? I've not heard of such. I'm curious.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Wow, a book which introduces a man trying to save the third dimension using fourth dimension sounds like an interesting read. Would love to read this book.
bomajerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by bomajerry »

I love fictions for how they paint relatable images and this looks like it's going to be a good read.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

The author has created a fantasy adventure novel with interesting characters. I am looking forward to finding out how things work out for the ex-con turned prophet in this new world once he realizes things are not quite the way he expected.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Wow. This is a glowing recommendation. I like when the storyline and characters collide in amazing vivid world-building. I have to check this book out. Even though fantasy is more of my genre than sci-fi. It sounds like a complex story. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Really wonder what happens with the prophet Jeremiah. Great review though.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. True to its nature, life is everything but rose-colored. It looks like Jeremiah will have a lot of hardships to overcome in Fourhaven.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

Adventurous and science fiction novel are always the best to read. Fred Witzgall's Fourhaven seems to posses these two characteristics. I also like the cover of this book: it is stunning, and can easily catch reader's attention.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

Adventurous and science fiction novel are always the best to read. Fred Witzgall's Fourhaven: Paradise Gone Wrong seems to posses these two characteristics. I also like the cover of this book: it is stunning, and can easily catch reader's attention.
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

I love that this book has a thrilling storyline blurring the line between fantasy and science fiction whilst centering around a group of unlikely heroes. Thanks for the review!
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

The plot is really interesting. I've never heard of fourth-dimensional. I am so excited to read this book. Also, great review.
Eunice Geres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Full-on fantasy novels are a hit or miss for me. Hopefully, this one would be great.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”